By Stephanie Neboh Iwuaba
‘Anyway, what makes people look youthful is the quality of their skin and I don’t think you can change that.’….Nigella Lawson
Turns out you can’t but you can hold of looking old and tired at least 10 years at every given age. Nice right?
But often times, we do things that make us age fast and we don’t want to age; no, we don’t! Sweet sixteen forever is the goal but at least looking 25 at 40 isn’t bad either! However, the earlier we start paying attention to these little things that steal away beauty, the better, so that we don’t start looking for it in bottles of harmful creams. And I’m not saying a bottle of good cream isn’t good either but can be very well complimented.
Below is a list of things to stop/not do if you want that age defying look for your skin:
* Don’t Smoke! Well I have always known smoking smokes people out. You might want to quit smoking or stay away from people who do and hang out more at bars with non-smoking sections.
* Stay away from the sun! Invest in a cream with at least SPF 30 and don’t be in the sun if you don’t have to.
* Exercise! We all get tied up on seats at work and so the need for a good work out is necessary. Not only do you need it to break out sweat that lifts off impurities from your body, it brings a glow from your toned muscles.
* Moisturize! Always moisturize even when you have an oily skin. It balances your moisture level and makes the skin soft. It also helps to make skin look youthful and shower fresh.
* Stay away from alcohol! But if you must, drink responsibly! When you drink alcohol, it causes small blood vessels in your skin to dilate; this causes blood to flow close to the skin’s surface. Excessive drinking in time can cause damage to these blood vessels permanently, which in turn causes patchy red/ dark brown skin and sometimes broken vessels.
* Don’t STRESS! Sounds easy right? But we all know it isn’t that simple. There are so many ways to relieve your stress. Religion is a good way; also talking to someone is great. A problem shared is one half solved. Make good friends who you can trust with your issues. It pays because you will need one to ease your heart. Also, try breathing exercises for stress management. Find some of these exercises free on Google.
* Sleep! Too little gets you old, too much gets you bloated, enough makes you beautiful. That’s why it’s called beauty sleep. Get at least 6 hours of sleep and a nap (15 to 20mins) in the day and that’s just right!
* Wear your glasses! If you have a prescription for glasses, better get it on. Squinting causes wrinkles and doesn’t look good on anyone. OK, I’m guilty too. I’m on it!
* Sunglasses are a must! Invest in good sunglasses that protects from UVA and UVB rays that destroys your eyes. And you don’t need that squint because it gives you the wrinkle between your eyebrows and wrinkles are just unacceptable if you want to look young!
* Invest in a bottle very good vitamin supplements. Especially those rich in Vitamin B like B complex. Get Biotin capsules if you find them. They help to rebuild body tissues and are very good for hair growth and smooth, healthy skin.
* Last but definitely not least, magic tomatoes! Eat it! It contains nutrients that protect your body from the inside. It’s a good anti oxidant and it helps grow healthy hair and immune system. Its value is so much and I won’t bore you with all that. Just eat it!
And keep being beautiful inside and you’ll reap the rewards on the outside!