Follow us on Twitter.
Recent Posts :
- How to Show a Man That You Are Desperate to Marry Him October 21, 2014
- Qamina Writing Workshop Holds Throughout November October 21, 2014
- Meet The Boss: Jaffar Inegbedion, Pandora Souvenirs October 20, 2014
- Nigeria’s Women of Vision: Ola Orekunrin October 20, 2014
- Nigeria Today: Top 10 News Stories You Shouldn’t Miss October 20, 2014
Four Secondary School Students Present The Urine Powered Generator!
Four students of a private secondary school in Lagos have put chemistry and the power of energy conversion to play by using urine—as fuel, to power an electric generator. This was displayed at a Maker Faire Innovation Competition that was held a few days ago in Lagos. The girls – Duro-Aina Adebola (14), Akindele Abiola (14), Faleke Oluwatoyin (14) and Bello Eniola (15) – showed that 1 litre of urine can give 6 hours of electricity.
According to the Maker Faire website, the system works like this:
- Urine is put into an electrolytic cell, which separates out the hydrogen.
- The hydrogen goes into a water filter for purification, which then gets pushed into the gas cylinder.
- The gas cylinder pushes hydrogen into a cylinder of liquid borax, which is used to remove the moisture from the hydrogen gas.
- This purified hydrogen gas is pushed into the generator.