Lifestyle changes have been known to produce better results than resolutions. You need to take action each day if you will make progress.
Everyone usually looks forward to a better year each time January comes around, but what will you actually do, or do differently, to be productive and achieve more in 2017? Here are a few suggestions:
1. Accept that you need to work hard to get the best this year, whether at work, in love, or in meeting your health/weight loss goals. There are no short cuts.
2. Work hard, play hard. When you keep working hard without leaving room for play, life becomes unbearable. You need your down time. Working hard makes playing hard more fulfilling, and the time you spend goofing off refreshes and empowers you for more hard work. You need both.
3. Beware of time bandits. This year, pay attention to how your day goes, and be ready to eliminate those things that steal your time be it TV or social media. Don’t be a slave to your mobile device. Time bandits can also be human. “I’m working on something urgent; can I call you later?” never killed anyone.
4. Use to-do list that you can cross off as you accomplish each task; this boosts your morale.
5. Set little deadlines and short-term goals to sustain you as you work towards the major ones. The small successes will keep you from giving up.
6. Set email times and stick to them, otherwise you’ll get sucked in. Check your emails at those times only.
7. Don’t underestimate the power of sleep. You need to recharge your batteries for true productivity.
8. Treat your family with as much deliberate care and diplomacy as you do your clients and colleagues. You need the home front intact to be truly productive.
9. Know what you’re being paid for/what brings you income and devote the best parts of your work day to those activities. When your energy is high, that’s the best time to complete your most important tasks.
10. Take care of yourself. Know what nourishes you. Pay yourself first by saving, and make your money work for you by investing. Eat right. Exercise. Rest. No productivity tip is worth much if you’re chronically unhappy, sick or dead.
Make huge strides this year!