Smelly feet, also known as bromodosis, is a condition that makes the feet smell when bacteria on the skin break down sweat as it comes from the pores. It can be really embarrassing to have feet that smell as soon as the shoes come off. The most common reason for smelly feet is excessive sweating in the feet which allows bacteria to breed in the warm environment and produce a pungent smell as the sweat decomposes. If you have smelly feet, the following tips should help in managing it.
1. Avoid wearing the same shoes consecutively. After wearing a pair of shoes for a whole day, allow them to air out for at least another day. This will enable the shoe to dry and be rid of moisture and heat. You do not have to wash your shoes every day, you just have to allow it to breathe and get dry on its own before wearing them again.
2. Wash your feet with antiseptics. Moisture and bacteria are the main cause of smelly feet, so if you can manage to get rid of those bacteria, then you are on your way to healthier feet. Using a pumice stone, wash your feet in lukewarm water with an antiseptic soap to eliminate the bacteria living on the dead cells of the feet. Then dry with a towel and make sure they are moisture-free before wearing your shoes again.
3. Wear breathable socks: Socks made with wool or nylon will allow your feet to sweat more than usual. And more sweating means more smelling. Cotton socks, on the other hand, allow your feet to breathe properly and absorb the sweat.
4. Use a non-irritant antiperspirant: You can use the usual ones meant for the armpits or you can try specialized antiperspirant for the feet. Just make sure the product has been chemically proven to be non-irritant. Apply a good quantity onto your feet to minimize the excessive sweating. However, allow it to dry before wearing your shoes.
5. Apply methylated spirit. Applying methylated spirit in between the toes inhibits the growth of bacteria between them. Just dip a little cotton wool into the spirit and apply it to the space between the toes to help prevent breeding of bacteria. Normally, methylated spirit does not hurt, but if it does, then know that you have open wounds between your toes which might require medical treatment.