Connect with us

BUSINESS

How To Invest in Soap Making

From studies carry out, Nigeria has great potential to produce high quality toilet and laundry soaps more than obtainable from Malaysia, Singapore, and other Asian companies.

Nigeria as a country can easily produce quality laundry and toilet soaps, using local raw materials and technology that can gain international acceptance. This will depend on how the project is handled professionally. This is what this country deserves at this point in time. With this policy in place and sincerity of purpose, the local industries will come up and protected from the effect of importation from abroad. It should be noted that the unemployment situation in the country, foreign debts, unfavourable balance of payments, and other related economic problems cannot be solved, unless Nigeria looks inwards to establish small and medium scale industries, and develop technologically.

It is indeed a sad tale to discover that there are many brands of toilet soaps and creams in the market, which are imported from Malaysia and Indonesia, and even from Europe and America. From research carried out, Nigeria can conveniently produce any type of toilet and laundry soaps required by its population. The raw materials and technology are readily available, including experienced manpower. Soap production can be established on a cottage, or as small, medium or large scale depending on the investor’s fund.

The technology and art of making soap has been with us for a very long time. It is only the technology that has improved globally, which Nigerian investors can as well imbibe. Soap production, either laundry or toilet (or both), can be carried out in any part of the country, but the most important thing is to apply professionalism in the proposed project, so as to achieve international standards. One can conveniently set up a virile and dependable plant using locally manufactured machinery and equipment.

Raw materials

The raw material is readily available and locally abundant in the country. Prospective investors will be advised on the best-recommended producers of these machines within the country. Alternatively, some foreign manufacturers of complete sets of the toilet and laundry soap making machines would be recommended to prospective investors also.

Wide range of uses

There is hardly any home or industry where soap is not used on a daily basis. Also, Glycerin, a by-product recovered during soap production, commands very high commercial value, as it is very useful in cosmetics and pharmaceutical formulations, and in laboratories as re-agents.

Market

There is a vast market for soap. Consumption and usage of soap for personal hygiene and general cleanliness per household is rising, and the importance cannot be emphasised. Nigeria market is a very large one considering the growing population yearly.

Moreover, with the increase in population, there is a widening demand-supply gap. As a result, the need to establish more soap production plants in both rural and urban areas at various levels of production, to cater for the cleansing needs of various classes of consumers.

Apart from the Nigerian markets, one can cash in on the high demand from the neighbouring countries (whose indigenes travel several kilometres to and fro Nigeria to purchase daily essentials) or to export. Once the quality is good and price competitive, there will always be a willing market. With the type of local raw materials available, Nigeria can provide high quality products that can even be exported to developed part of the world.

Plants and machinery

Machines required to set up this plant are oil storage tanks and vessels, steam generators, filter press, soap reactors, recovery vessels, drying machines, cooling frames, plodder, cutting tables, stamping machine, wrapper, etc.

Plants of various sizes exist to produce 1500, 1600, 2200 metric tons of soap per annum. The capacity can be increased according to the promoter’s request, and capacity of production will depend wholly on availability of funds and plant capacity chosen.

Required raw materials

Essential raw materials for soap production are animal fats or vegetable oil, chemicals, including fragrances, wrapping materials and cartons. These raw materials are 100 percent available locally. The local availability of raw materials, among other things, will ensure continuous production and profitability.

Production process

Modern soap production technology involves pre-treatment, saponification, grinding, drying and packaging. Packaging is very important. Details of the modern production processes would be discussed in detail in the feasibility studies reports.

Manpower

The minimum number of workers required to carry out the above production depends wholly on the capacity chosen, and on whether the proposed investor is interested in producing bar or toilet soap, or both. For attractive products, the most important thing is the packaging system adopted. This must be carefully done, make sure that it is equal to or more attractive than the imported products.

Cost

From preliminary investment analysis conducted, the cost of setting the project will depend on the scale and type of machines to be used (whether imported or locally made machines). On the average, using locally-made machines is estimated at about N6.2 million, as shown below. The project cost may be higher if imported machines are applied. The return on investment is very encouraging. The pay back period is also very short depending on the production and marketing strategies adopted which will be treated in the feasibility studies. The projected revenue, gross profit and cash flows are all encouraging too. Details will be shown on the report.

The good thing about this project is that it is one of the listed projects that the banks are interested in funding, but the business plan must be professionally presented. Other financial institutions are also interested in funding this project, because it is one of the consumer goods that are very marketable and lucrative.

For details on comprehensive and bankable feasibility studies, business plans procurement and installations of strong and durable machines, packaging methods, export markets and funding arrangements, please contact the author of this article, Uba Godwin on 01-4721550, 08034494437, 08023664368 or email him at ubagodwin@yahoo.com

Continue Reading
21 Comments

21 Comments

1. Avatar

Fidelityconsult

19th April 2012 at 8:58 pm

Thanks 4 the info, 4get our nigeria bank concerning loan.
    But the   minimum amount  6.2 Million  mentioned is much and just few people can afford that.
    I am working on soap production as well  and needed   some of the machines like cutters, preferable  foreign made, because from  my confirmation made in Nigeria  cutters, does  not cut  bar  soap smoothly, a lot of people do complain.

Please can i be advised on how to get correctly made in Nigeria or foreign made (manual), this is urgent.
    fidelityconsult@yahoo.co.uk

2. Avatar

david samuel

21st December 2014 at 3:48 pm

i really appreciate with all your information.i want to know how to product bar soap,including d name of chemical to use & measurement and the process.from samueldavid290@rocketmail.com

3. Avatar

Rita

27th December 2014 at 6:17 pm

Nice topic. But it will be helpful if u make a research on were dis soap making materials can be found. Am interested in soap making, but finding materials like soap molds, essential oils etc in our local markets hasn’t been successful

4. Avatar

Gbenga

1st February 2015 at 8:30 pm

am also a soap maker, but i still make do with some plastic molds cos i haven’t got local machine cutter not to talk of forign machine,
    But i think u sound interesting to me with ur write-up here, pls can u advise me which one to go for, weither good local machine or forign machine, and also how make business grow faster market wise…..
    hummmmm thanks

5. Avatar

Evelyn Ugheghe Odaze

12th February 2015 at 7:08 pm

I love soap production business,is a business that can never go down. Sure business I want to go into it what do I do, to have a best products so that I can excell. Please reply me. Thank

6. Avatar

Jeremiah Joel

16th February 2015 at 7:57 pm

Indeed,this business is lucrative but come to think of the locally made machine that costs up to 6.2m…thats a huge amount.Pls i’m into this business too and my major set backs are
    1.The soap are not that very strong(hard).
    2.Not a totally smooth cuts from me.
    This above listed problems are what i’ll need you to please help me resolve.That is,how to produce stronger bar soap and how I can get a good cutter.Hope to hear from you soon!Thanks in Anticipation.

Chuks

19th February 2016 at 4:44 am

Try adding stearine in ur boiling. It will make ur soap bars stronger and better.

Chuks

7. Avatar

wahab

19th March 2015 at 9:35 pm

Thank you for the write up sir, I think of investing in soap and nylon bag.but I think I can start with soap and on a relatively small scale may be miscellaneous soap, b cos of start up capital.please sir I need your guidance on how to start thanks. Wahab

8. Avatar

festus

20th March 2015 at 8:53 am

Thank you for care you have over Nigeria people,next plan is soap industry please sir why don”t you raise a seminar on soap making and how to get loan to fund the business,pls help us with this thanks from festus

9. Avatar

jagjit singh

22nd May 2015 at 4:53 pm

10. Avatar

harry

22nd May 2015 at 4:59 pm

hello everybody if any one need any kind of assistance of soap making or machinery of soap like cutting machine ,plodder, rollmill etc contact me because I have 40year of experience of making soap then contact me :jagjitsingh50308@gmail.com thank you

11. Avatar

Chrisbernie

8th September 2015 at 5:14 pm

Pls am intrested in soap making,wats the cost of learning it

12. Avatar

beatrice

15th September 2015 at 11:28 am

thanks for the information. please I want to know how to produce bar soap. thanks beatola2000@yahoo

13. Avatar

AISHATU BUKAR

26th October 2015 at 11:30 am

Good

14. Avatar

toyin

12th November 2015 at 12:35 pm

I produce both laundry and bath bar of soaps of the highest quality such that can compete with the best in any part of the world. My bath bars do not come cheap due to the quality of ingredients used in making them and I am proud to say that my customers are always happy with my product. I recently delved into the production of laundry bars because I want a bit of me in every home. I’m not there yet but so far, the reception has been great because I make good bars.
    When I hear the ingredients people using in making soap, I seriously wonder how they came about them. I make soaps that are 100% biodegrable, mild, strong and highly sudsing.
    If you are interested in a one-on-one coaching that teaches you soaping as should be done from A-Z reach me on 08022612295

15. Avatar

evwodere christian

27th January 2016 at 11:00 pm

Thanks for a nice feasibility study on soap industry

16. Avatar

Deborah Adamu

29th January 2016 at 11:54 pm

l want to go into soap making both toiletsoap and laundry of international standard l needs a guide on the proper way of doing it sincere ly

17. Avatar

CDR. L. K. Eneyo

2nd February 2016 at 1:54 am

In all the talks and comment there is no address to contact for coaching, therefore it is meaningless. Post to us where to contact you and have the training for the soap making. Nothing goes for nothing. stop deceiving people.

18. Avatar

Chuks

19th February 2016 at 4:48 am

For ur equipment and formulations, contact chuboneng@yahoo.com

19. Avatar

Patience

19th April 2016 at 12:06 pm

insightful. i produce homemade liquid wash and i need a bigger market than i have now. please contact me on 08185437337. thanks