Hiphop is a genre growing real fast in Nigeria; after all we are being recognised internationally (Yes, why you think Talib Kweli came to Nigeria, cos of Daddy Showkey?)
Here we have a list of 10 hiphop producers who because of their work in the hiphop scene are worth the recognition. Here we go:
1. XO: XO can be described as one of the most unpopular hiphop producers with the most popular productions. His method of production is second to none. As a former member of the now defunct rap group “NUFF NOIZ” he holds the art of instrumentation and scratches. His beats are that DOPE! Nuff said, surprisingly he was not nominated for this year’s HIPHOP WORLD AWARDS.
“The Finest” by Knighthouse
“Ijinle Pam Pam” Knighthouse”
“Eko 4 sure” The Kalifate
“All hail” The Kalifate
“Airplane mode” Sauce kid
2. KRAFT: A master at his work, Kraft has carved a niche for himself through his hiphop trademark sampling techniques, especially through his work with his music comrade Modenine. Kraft first hit the scene big with productions on Jimmy Jatt’s “The Definition” album and then Modenine’s “El Plurubus Unum” album but most prominently the “NigelBenn Kraftwork” mixtape. You can tell from his work that he is heavily influenced by soul music.
“We dey vex” Modenine ft Tuface Idibia
“You can’t hide” Modenine
“Loke” Modenine ft OD & YQ
“Fast money, fast money” M.I ft Whizkid
3. SOSSICK: Sossick is another hiphop producer that is worthy of recognition. Pitching his tent with MO’BB through Classic Tunes, his first prominent work was the entire production of his elder brother GINO’s first album “Pain Plus Work” (which is one of the most looked over albums). Sossick’s production just reminds you that grimy stuff that puts you on the edge. He later hooked up with the late Dagrin to produce 85% of his sophomore album “C.E.O”.
“No be God” Gino
“Pon pon pon” Dagrin
“Ghetto dreams” Dagrin
4. MICWORX: The production team consists of veteran rapper and another member of the defunct “NUFF NOIZ” ‘Venomous’, ‘Big Foot’, ‘Smyle’ and ‘DJ Bently’. They are popularly known for their impressive work on IllBliss’ debut album “Dat Ibo Boy”. Micworx brings all sorts to the music table; smooth, banging, reflective and head bopping. They’ve been involved in other works such as the MTN Project Fame sound production team.
“Da boss” IllBliss ft Da Suspect
“Leader” IllBliss ft Durella
“Tales of the pots” Modenine
5. IKONZ: Ikonz is one of the fast rising hiphop producers in the country. His production stands out amongst others and is top notch quality. He is mostly for his use of the trumpet on his beats. An affiliate of the 4th Republic, Ikonz has worked with a host of artistes although he is still finding his feet in the scene.
“We go hard” Ikechukwu ft M.I
“The Dreamer” Show Dem Camp ft M.I & Abasa
“Never” 4th Republic
“” Naeto C ft Omawumi
6. Da SUSPECT: The frontline producer for Capital Records, Suspect cannot but be mentioned amongst the producers who run things beatwise. His ability to produce hits coupled with on-point delivery on hooks should not be looked over.
Show Dem Camp ft M.I & Abasa
“I no send you rmx” Da Suspect ft Wyclef Jean and Various artistes
“Currensy boys” IllBliss ft eLDee da Don
“Wa waa alright” Kel
“Oshamo” Teeto Ceemos ft Da Suspect
7. Dr FRABZ: Dr Frabz is another producer known for dropping hits. He started out producing for Mo’Hits crew and later moved onto start his N’Syane entertainment outfit. He’s worked with a host of big shot artistes such as eLDee, Naeto C, D’Banj…..you wonder why his name pops up? Well, although Frabz consistently produces pop/R&B songs, he goes out of his way to drop some head nodding jams.
“Ako mi ti poju” Naeto C
“E fi mile” YQ ft Dagrin
“Thank God” Dagrin ft Omawumi
8. XYZ: As one of the members of super rap group Str8buttah, XYZ has earned audio stripes with the sort of production he unleashes to our ears. He is known for sampling and I must say is every rappers delight. He has gone on to co-produce works like “Illa Str8”mixtape and the critical acclaimed “STR8 4RM DA ART” album by Str8buttah.
“Rap Messiah” Mode 9
“Side of your mouth” IllBliss
9. TECKZILLA: Where Nigerian producers get to drop beats for artistes, Teckzilla (another member of the 6man Str8buttah rap crew) drops projects. Teckzilla is simply in a league of his own. His choices of samples show perfection and taste. Another thing that make him stands out of his peers is his ability to adapt and/or attach a theme to every of his project/production. Also a collaborator to many works of the Str8buttah crew, Teck has worked in producing for other African rappers such as ZONE FAM’s “The Full Script” mixtape. His most recent work is Big Faz’s “Smoke Sessions Vol 1” mixtape.
“My girl” Zone Fam
“Ill Musketeers” Teckzilla, Mr Rae & Fecko tha mc
“Hate” Knighthouse ft IllBliss & Othello
10. DJ KLEM: DJ Klem is known as the in house producer for Knighthouse, and has been building buzz around himself in the hiphop scene. His kind of production is quite urban and in style with the kind of music been produced recently. He is definitely making an impression.
“Live @ 51” Knighthouse ft Vector, General Pype & Pherowshuz
“My Thoughts” Knighthouse ft Modenine & Ade
“Make it better” Knighthouse ft Ice Prince, Mo’ Chedda, Mobie & Fumbi
“Number 1” Knighthouse ft RoofTop MCs, Sabre & Loose Kaynon