Connect with us

CAREER

How to Write a Standard CV

A curriculum vitae – popularly called a CV – is literally your work history, a summary of your educational and work experience, for the information of possible future employers. It’s a bit different from a résumé, in that a resume is typically used by people in all professions except academia and medicine

Photo: jobcontax.com

A curriculum vitae – popularly called a CV – is literally your work history, a summary of your educational and work experience, for the information of possible future employers. It’s a bit different from a résumé, in that a résumé is typically used by people in all professions except academia and medicine.

Your CV is practically who you are, what you carry and portray. Without meeting you, a prospective employer, or anyone who comes in contact with it, should have some good idea of who you are.

There are so many ways, techniques and ideas on how to write a standard CV. It’s the content, practical skills, and work experience that employers are particularly interested in, plus evidence of what you have created, like listings of exhibitions. Work experience takes priority over education. For example, for a multimedia CV, you should include your technical skills (your proficiency with programs like Flash, Maya, and Photoshop). For advertising jobs, evidence of an interest in music, art, photography or film may help

Only when the wording is excellent consider into something that is a bit different: get the content right before focusing on the design. It is the content and presentation that will make the impact.

Below is what I consider to be a concise and easy guide on how to write a standard CV.

Presentation (Layout and Style)
When writing a CV you’re communicating with someone you’ve probably never met, so it’s important to make that first impression count. An effective CV is the start of every successful job campaign, so it is very vital to spend time and effort on producing one that will get you that all important interview and give you the chance to market yourself in person. There are several standard CV formats, but most employers will prefer the chronological CV. Remember you never get a second chance to make a first impression.

Content (Personal Details)
Start with your name, address, telephone numbers, preferred e-mail address, date of birth and nationality.

Profile (Introduction)
Keep it short and to the point. This should be a few sentences or a short paragraph describing your key skills and experience. Tailor it to the position you are applying for. Detail your professional status and career development along with your immediate ambitions.

Professional and Academic Qualifications
List your most recent achievements first. Unless you are a recent graduate or school leaver, your professional experience and qualifications will be most relevant.

Employment History
List all previous employment in reverse chronological order. Start with details of your current employment. Include name and location of employer, your job title and dates of employment. Use bullet points to outline the main responsibilities, and accomplishments. Wherever possible quantify and qualify with specific details that illustrate your skill base. Ensure that you account for any gaps in your employment history.

Hobbies/Interests
Unless they specifically relate to skill requirements of the position you’re applying for, it is worth considering omitting the rather dated tradition of listing your personal interests. They take up valuable room on your CV that could be used to include more relevant information.

Portfolios
Some applications may be supported by a portfolio of your work. State on your CV that a portfolio is available on request. If you have applied online or have an online portfolio make sure that you include the URL to your site.

References
It is not necessary to include details of referees at this stage. However, you may want to state that references are available on request.

Tips on Writing a CV

• Do not hand-write a CV.
  • Use good quality white A4 paper to print your CV (if possible use a laser printer).
  • Use a clear typeface.
  • Ensure the layout is evenly spaced and easy to read, using subheadings to draw the reader’s eye to important information.
  • Remember to keep all information on your CV concise and clear.
  • Be scrupulously careful when you proofread, a misspelling or grammatical error gets noticed before the point you are trying to make does. Get someone else to check it for you.
  • Focus on your skills and experience. Highlight your career achievements.
  • Always keep your CV up to date.

Naturally a CV needs to be revised periodically during your career. If required, your Recruitment Consultant can assess your CV and offer advice on any areas that could be refined to develop your chance of success in getting the position you want.

Continue Reading
108 Comments

108 Comments

1. Avatar

Michael

8th June 2012 at 12:23 pm

Many people don’t know how to type a CV. Somebody that an Hotel management graduate applying for a Job in a Law firm i cannot comprehend that. I think people need education on where to apply for job.

2. Avatar

Makinwa Olubukola

8th June 2012 at 1:39 pm

Thanks for this article. It is very much needed for some people i know.

3. Avatar

Swaggboy Obass

5th December 2012 at 10:28 am

please send me how to right cv
    swaggboyobass@gmail.com

pastor

25th October 2014 at 8:20 pm

Bros this right ,is not the spelling,look at the correct spelling (write) ok

4. Avatar

bintex

16th January 2013 at 7:31 am

Thanks for the vital information, i has helped me alot.
    Get latest Nigeria Jobs.

5. Avatar

Richard Agbor

29th April 2014 at 10:31 am

pil send me some detail on hw to write cv

6. Avatar

BISHOP ABRAM

18th July 2014 at 11:54 pm

Good day

This is a good news to all Nigerians, the Nigeria custom service recruitment form is currently on for sale contact :08060412165 For details on how you can obtain the form,,,,Note: All qualifications accepted with processing.Applied in person.Thanks.

7. Avatar

BISHOP ABRAM

19th July 2014 at 12:00 am

Good day

8. Avatar

JobSpire.com.ng

3rd October 2014 at 12:48 pm

Post your CV on jobspire.com.ng Nigeria. Candidates – Boost your chances of getting a job!

9. Avatar

salako najeem

3rd January 2015 at 3:11 pm

please send me how to write cv on salakonajeem@gmail.com

10. Avatar

Odiaka Augustina

19th January 2015 at 12:15 pm

Tank u for ur assistance

11. Avatar

Amaka Eke

6th February 2015 at 1:33 am

Am indebted. Tanks nd God bless.

12. Avatar

Prince

16th February 2015 at 2:02 pm

Thanks Sir, for the piece. Pls Sir. i will be more
    appreciative if you can send a copy of CV to
    my email. God bless you ma.

13. Avatar

Orogun P.

25th February 2015 at 1:56 pm

God bless your effort. I don’t mind if I get a copy of how to update my cv with the current format

14. Avatar

Yekinni Azeez

28th February 2015 at 4:19 pm

I will be really glad if u can send a sample of a CV to my e mail…azeyek20@gmail.com..
    Thanks.

15. Avatar

nasiru yakubu babatunde

3rd March 2015 at 2:25 pm

Thanks so much for your contributions Sir. However, we need a sample to illustrate. Pls kindly a send a copy to my e-mail address sir, God bless you, sir.

16. Avatar

pibowei osinachi tamaraebi

14th March 2015 at 3:38 pm

Sir, I will like to get a sample of a CV from you sir,kindly send it to my email address thanks so much.

17. Avatar

chris mo

17th March 2015 at 6:26 pm

a very wonderful piece,but pls for proper digestion of this information an illustration or sample of a standard CV is needed. Pls be kind enough to send me a sample copy. To chrismo4ever@mail.com

18. Avatar

Nwoko Emmanuel

22nd March 2015 at 6:18 pm

this is quite helpful pls i need u to send me an example or a sample on hw to write a gud CV thanks

19. Avatar

Nwoko Emmanuel

22nd March 2015 at 6:21 pm

pls my email is :enwokoh@gmail.com thanks and God bless u

20. Avatar

Olamide

23rd March 2015 at 11:53 am

God bless u, pls help me send sample of good Cv. Albaj.my@gmail.com

21. Avatar

Azeez

30th March 2015 at 10:14 am

Thanks. Please i would appreciate a sample copy in my e-mail

22. Avatar

omosede

17th April 2015 at 9:33 am

Thank you so much.pls I will need a sample in my mail omosede008@yahoo.com.

23. Avatar

odunewu olalekan

20th April 2015 at 1:10 pm

Pls sir,,,send me a format on how to write a chronological cv

24. Avatar

Solomon Tosin

27th April 2015 at 9:26 pm

Pls snd a cv sample to tos4akin@yahoo.com

27. Avatar

shakirat Amolegbe

1st May 2015 at 8:37 am

I really appreciate dis info, can u Pls send me a sample of the latest style to write a cv. Thanks and God bless

28. Avatar

Comfort

2nd May 2015 at 10:47 am

Thanks for the information, and I would really appreciate if you can send me a sample of CV into my mail box

29. Avatar

Umeh Angela

4th May 2015 at 8:48 am

Please send a sample of a good CV to this email angelaumennaka@yahoo.com

30. Avatar

enwerem bartholomew

7th May 2015 at 4:39 pm

i highly appreciate this info,pls sir could u kindly send a copy of writing cv to my email bartholomewukachukwu@yahoo.com

31. Avatar

Martin

14th May 2015 at 1:34 pm

Thank you so much. I will be happy if you send me a sample copy of CV to my e-mail endydecency@yahoo.com. Thanks.

32. Avatar

justine chigozie

22nd May 2015 at 9:45 am

Plz Send me on how to write a curriculum vitae through my email
    box justinechigozie984@yahoo.com

33. Avatar

george goodnews

24th May 2015 at 2:54 pm

Pls i need a standard on how to write my CV. Tanks so much. My Email. goodnewsgeorge1@yahoo.com

34. Avatar

ugorji Promise

10th June 2015 at 7:00 pm

i appreciate you so much pls send me sample of it in my email

35. Avatar

ugorji Promise

10th June 2015 at 7:02 pm

i appreciate you so much pls send me sample of it in my email ugorjipromise2012@yahoo.com

36. Avatar

Ikechukwu Onuoha

11th June 2015 at 8:20 am

Great job!
    please send a sample copy to ikeonuoha@yahoo.com

37. Avatar

amadi lilian

18th June 2015 at 9:08 am

Pls sir i will be happy if u can send me a copy how to write a gud cv

38. Avatar

Muraina Aliu

18th June 2015 at 10:45 am

Pls sir send a copy to my email too. Tanx Sir

39. Avatar

Muraina Aliu

18th June 2015 at 10:47 am

Pls sir send a copy to my email too. Babsali212@yahoo.co.uk.Tanx Sir

40. Avatar

Adedotun

24th June 2015 at 11:54 pm

Pls sir send me a template or sample of a good CV. I will be glad if my request is granted soon. Thanks

41. Avatar

Tolulope

25th June 2015 at 11:50 am

Pls… send me a sample of a good cv… luckychick16@yahoo.com…. thanks..

42. Avatar

SAMUEL ESSIEN

26th June 2015 at 6:14 am

please kindly send a sample copy of good CV to me at sammist2000@gmail.com

43. Avatar

liban

26th June 2015 at 6:21 pm

please send me a sample copy of good CV to me at libanhappy4@gmail.com thanks

44. Avatar

Lovelyn

28th June 2015 at 4:43 pm

I appreciate u so much, pls send a copy to my mail. Thanks lovelynifunanya28@yahoo.com

45. Avatar

oladepo m.olusegun

1st July 2015 at 1:22 pm

i seriously appreciated your plight sir,pls kindly help to send a chorological cv format to my email-allbandcompany@yahoo.com

46. Avatar

DORIAN

2nd July 2015 at 11:12 pm

NIGERIA CUSTOMS SERVICE MASS RECRUITMENT 2015/2016
    Applications are invited from suitably qualified persons for full time appointments to the following positions in the Nigeria Customs Service. Candidates must possess the qualification stated against the respective positions:
    CATEGORY ‘A’ – GENERAL DUTY
    1.) SUPERINTENDENT CADRE: Nigeria Customs Service Post: Assistant Superintendent of Customs Grade II – Consol 08 Entry Qualification: Candidates must possess a Bachelors Degree with at least Second Class Lower Division from a recognized University.
    2.) INSPECTOR CADRE Post: Inspector of Customs – Consol 07 Entry Qualification:- Higher National Diploma (HND) with at least lower credit from a recognized Polytechnic.
    (ii) Assistant Inspector of Customs – Consol 06 Entry Qualifications: – National Diploma (ND) with at least lower credit from a recognized Polytechnic, National Certificate of Education (NCE),
    3.) ASSISTANT CADRE Post: (i) Customs Assistant II – Consol 04 Entry Qualifications: – Senior Secondary Certificate Examination (SSCE) with Credits in not less than five subjects including English Language and Mathematics obtained at a maximum of two sittings. General Certificate of Education (GCE) Ordinary Level with credit in five subjects including English Language and Mathematics obtained at a maximum of two sittings,
    (ii) Customs Assistant III – Consol 03 Entry Qualifications: – Senior Secondary Certificate Examination (SSCE) with Credits in not less than four subjects including English Language obtained at a maximum of two sittings. General Certificate of Education (GCE) Ordinary Level with credit in four subjects including English Language obtained at a maximum of two sittings.
    NOTE:
    * Form fee is N7000 only
    * Registration fee N2000
    * Registration Number and pin for registration will be sent to your Email after payment.
    * All Applicants must be citizens of Nigeria using the Nigeria Voters Card as proof.
    * Applicants shall be of Nigerian origin by birth.
    * All Applicants must attend zonal screening exercise at the designated zonal centre for their respective states.
    * Non-Tradesmen & Women Applicants must be aged between 18 – 35 years by 15 February 2014.
    * Tradesmen & Women Applicants must be aged between 18 – 35 years by 15 February 2014.
    * Applicants must be medically, physically, and psychologically fit and must not be less than 1.65 meters tall for men and 1.56 meters for women.
    * Applicants must be free of any Criminal conviction.
    For more information on Payment and Registration:
    CONTACT:
    Name: Mr. Dorian
    Phone: +2347031991061
    Email: tylerdorian92@gmail.com

47. Avatar

olugbenga jacob

7th July 2015 at 10:16 am

pls send me a sample copy of an acceptable CV in Nigeria. thanks, to the email
    vabove.

48. Avatar

brandy whyte

8th July 2015 at 12:06 am

I appreciate u so much, please send me a sample copy of a good CV , here is my email gbrandy2425@yahoo.com,thank u.

49. Avatar

brandy whyte

8th July 2015 at 12:07 am

I appreciate u so much, please send a sample copy of a good CV to my email,thank u.

50. Avatar

olasehinde olabisi janet

14th July 2015 at 8:58 am

pls I need latest cv

51. Avatar

chacho

14th July 2015 at 1:06 pm

Can ‘curriculum vitae’ be at the top of the paper? I would love to have a sample pls

52. Avatar

bukola

14th July 2015 at 4:42 pm

Pls kindly send me a sample drbeaky4u@yahoo.com

53. Avatar

Etop Peace

15th July 2015 at 9:58 am

tankz for da info…plz I hope u can also send me a sample copy of a standard CV….

54. Avatar

Etop Peace

15th July 2015 at 10:08 am

hoping u can get a sample copy of a standard CV by u, sent to my email: peazanjel@gmail.com…. tankz in anticipation..

55. Avatar

ThankGod

17th July 2015 at 12:42 pm

Thank you sir for your article, i will appreciate you to send me a copy of a standard curriculum vitae for more of my study.

56. Avatar

ThankGod

17th July 2015 at 1:11 pm

Thank you sir for your article, i appreciate you send me a standard copy of a curriculum vitae for more of my study

57. Avatar

Ezekiel Yakubu Vwot

20th July 2015 at 6:06 am

Please sir, send me a format into my Email yzee444@gmail.com. Thanks sir

58. Avatar

Aneke collins oge

20th July 2015 at 7:12 pm

Insightful analogy I must say. I wouldbalso love to get a template of the CV.I know it would be of immense help to me. aneke.collins@yahoo.com. thanks

59. Avatar

Chidinma Nkemakolam Igwe

22nd July 2015 at 8:50 pm

Very helpful. Pls I need the format. Chidifynee@gmail.com

60. Avatar

IRHEGHE KINGSLEY

22nd July 2015 at 9:26 pm

PLEASE SEND A GOOD SAMPLE CV TO IRHEGHE_KINGSLEY@YAHOO.COM

61. Avatar

Andrew Monyei

26th July 2015 at 7:14 am

I admire your work sir. I will really appreciate it if u can send me a sample of cv to my email- Monyeiandrew@gmail.com God bless u sir

62. Avatar

wendy

27th July 2015 at 8:57 pm

Thanks a lot. Pls could u sent a sample to my

inbox yewandemii@hotmail.com

63. Avatar

Total nigeria plc

3rd August 2015 at 8:09 am

TOTAL NIGERIA PLC
    TOTAL OIL AND GAS is one of the world’s leading energy company with more than 70,000 employees working in countries around the world. We explore, produce and transport crude oil and natural gas; refine, market and distribute fuels and other energy products; manufacture and sell petrochemical products; generate power; and develop future energy resources, including bio fuels and geothermal energy.
    The TOTAL OIL & GAS NIGERIA PLC Recruitment is aimed at recruiting qualified candidates from the following areas of specialization:
    • CONTACT THE HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGER ENGR JAMES BEN ON 08059092407

Offshore workers
    Mechanical
    Electrical
    Economics
    Legal attendants
    Security Personnel.
    *Masters Degree Holders: Human resource managers.
    Personnel managers.
    Zone managers.
    Level 8-15 workmanship.
    Please Contact The Human Resource manager ENGR JAMES BEN
    NOTE: ALL APPLICANT SHOULD SEND THEIR CV TO OUR email totalnigeria01plc@outlook.com

64. Avatar

Lanre

3rd August 2015 at 2:59 pm

Hello,
    Thanks for the write-up information, could you please send a copy of a sample CV to my email? I’d really appreciate it. Thank you.

65. Avatar

Muinat Olusola

3rd August 2015 at 8:16 pm

pls kindly send a sample of a CV to me. shollybee86@gmail.com

66. Pingback: 10 Ways To Stay Positive During Job Search | King Kurtis Smith's Life Transforming Blog

67. Avatar

otu john

26th August 2015 at 11:05 pm

Plz kindly send a sample of a cv to my mail:edojhotu@hotmail.com,

68. Avatar

otu john

26th August 2015 at 11:07 pm

Plz kindly send a sample cv to my email

69. Avatar

Babalola Ahmed

2nd September 2015 at 8:29 am

Please can you help me send a CV format to my email address…. olawaleakanni91@gmail.com. Pls I need it urgently but am confused on what to write there… Thanks..

70. Avatar

Igbowu Adeoye

7th September 2015 at 2:19 pm

please i need a good sample of your C.V’s, i urgently need it. 08074735500, 07063433808

71. Avatar

Odudu Sunday

7th September 2015 at 4:02 pm

pls send me the most recent CV sample through my email

72. Avatar

Odudu Sunday

7th September 2015 at 4:03 pm

dis is my email address odudusunday1@gmail.com pls I need it urgently

73. Avatar

PATRICK E

8th September 2015 at 5:31 am

PLS SEND ME SAMPLES OF UR CV’S I NEED URGENTLY

74. Avatar

ADEYEMI AKEEM

13th September 2015 at 5:11 pm

please i’m a fresh graduate and I need a guide line on how to write a good CV and some examples….I’m an electrical engineering student…thank you… hoping for your quick response….email:-akeema14@gmail.com

75. Avatar

Alli folashade

20th September 2015 at 11:20 am

pls send me a copper CV

76. Avatar

odudu sunday

21st September 2015 at 3:43 pm

thnx I appreciate for the Info n may God bless u. am abt rounding up my service yr, pls help me to send a sample or format of which I can write up my CV to my email at odudusunday1@gmail.com. may God reward u as u do that

77. Avatar

SHADRACH. A.

22nd September 2015 at 5:04 pm

THANKS FOR THIS VALUABLE INSIGHTS. WILL BE MORE APPRECIATIVE IF YOU CAN SEND ME AN EXAMPLE OF A TYPICAL STANDARD C.V. THANKS AND GOD BLESS

78. Avatar

Ogbonna okechukwu

23rd September 2015 at 7:16 am

I am a new graduate seeking for job. I’ll be glad if you can send a sample of C.V to my email to guide me to seek for job…….ogbonnaokechukwuben@gmail.com. Thanks alot.

79. Avatar

Helen Idiong

8th October 2015 at 10:17 am

I am looking for a job in an insurance company,specifically actuarial unit,i just passed my SOA exams,please could you send a standardd cv format to idiongh@gmail.com Thanks

80. Avatar

hajiboy

18th October 2015 at 6:56 pm

pls kindly send a copy of c.v to my mail sir, hajiboyhaji@gmail.com

81. Avatar

Saintliönel

19th October 2015 at 12:19 pm

I really appreciate ur article sir. But please kindly send a standard CV sample to my address at saintlionella.wrence@yahoo.com for appropriate knowledge and understanding please. I wil b glad and appreciateful. Thank you

82. Avatar

Egbunu vic

7th November 2015 at 7:15 am

Plssss will really appreciate.to have a sample, tnxxx
    Iduvic91@gmail.com

83. Avatar

Nwogbo stella adaobi

9th November 2015 at 2:59 pm

thanks very much for this information, but I will like to include my c.v sex female,date of birth 21feb,1988,state of origin Anambra state,local govt Dunukofia, nationality

Nigerian

84. Avatar

Ugbari, S.

9th November 2015 at 8:01 pm

Thank you so much for this insightful and wonderful piece of work,I can’t wait to have my own copy of the textbook when its out, pls sir, can you send to me a sample of a detailed CV so as build upon dat, I will appreciate . my email address is ugbaris@gmail.com .

85. Avatar

Eneanika chibuzo

12th November 2015 at 12:17 pm

pls sir am in need of the cv format I will be grad if u send the format to my email chibuzchristpher@yahoo.com

86. Avatar

Eneanika chibuzo

12th November 2015 at 12:26 pm

pls sir am in need of the cv format I will be grad if u send the format to my email chibuzchristopher3@gmail.com

87. Avatar

Jasmine

13th November 2015 at 4:46 am

Pls I will love to have a sample,thanks.nwankwojasmine@yahoo.com

88. Avatar

Adekunle

17th November 2015 at 12:37 pm

pls sir, i will like send me the forma for the cv

89. Avatar

Adekunle

17th November 2015 at 12:40 pm

my g.mail account is this saitoxplode@gmail.com

90. Avatar

Fredrick

18th November 2015 at 5:58 pm

Pls sir, i will be grateful if i can have a copy of a CV. Thanks. This is my e-mail, akinwaleodun@gmail.com

91. Avatar

effiong

19th November 2015 at 9:46 pm

good morning sir,pls am in need of the full format of standard c.v . Thanking you sir.

92. Avatar

Olaiya Ademola Ezekiel

19th November 2015 at 10:52 pm

Please sir, can u send a sample copy to my gmail? It is very urgent. Dhezrea4lyf@gmail.com

93. Avatar

Aasim

2nd December 2015 at 11:27 am

Pls can i av a copy of cv and resume, i wanto compare. Pls

94. Avatar

Aasim

2nd December 2015 at 11:33 am

Abuaasimanas@gmail.com, das my mail add. Tanx alot

95. Avatar

Rapheal

3rd December 2015 at 5:30 pm

Please sir i will like to have the copy of the cv on my email @ raphealokamgba@yahoo.com

96. Avatar

Emmanuel

18th December 2015 at 12:00 pm

97. Avatar

chiamaka

21st December 2015 at 8:37 pm

Please is it possible to get a sample of ur cv tomorrow morning was asked to provide one by 12pm tomorrow

98. Avatar

chika nosegbe. k

25th December 2015 at 11:23 am

Good job keep it up sir, sir pls i need it, send me d format God bless u join sir.

99. Avatar

adebola adebimpe

26th December 2015 at 12:44 pm

please sir, i will love to get a template of the cv

100. Avatar

babajide gabriel

2nd January 2016 at 12:48 pm

how do i write cv with post applied for

101. Avatar

Enero

8th January 2016 at 10:38 pm

A copy of a sample c.v will do a lot of good to me too please. sulerufaienero@gmail.com

102. Avatar

Yahaya Umoru Nelson

15th January 2016 at 6:00 am

Pls I need cv sample of Electronic n Telecom Engineering

103. Avatar

Innocent Wise

21st January 2016 at 12:18 pm

Goodwork. Keep it up.

104. Avatar

Egbo Daniel

26th January 2016 at 9:20 am

pls, i need a current format of writing cv in area of administration department.
    what are the current job opportunity that are vacant.

105. Avatar

Nafiu Rabiu Bungudu

6th February 2016 at 4:36 am

I will try this method.

106. Avatar

agholor michael

1st March 2016 at 5:04 pm

Hello sir,you are doing a great work sir and I would like to thank you for your profound effort of impartation….i would be very grateful sir if I can send a sample of the curriculum vitae to my email address…agholor16@gmail.com

107. Avatar

Precious Iriaevho

17th April 2017 at 12:38 pm

[* Shield plugin marked this comment as “trash”. Reason: Failed GASP Bot Filter Test (comment token failure) *]
    This is so great, been searching for something to read before writing my first CV.

I also read the post in the link below.

Can you also send a sample?

Thanks again for this great piece.