Garden eggs can be sometimes boring to eat. Except for some of those occasions when we smear them with peppered peanut (groundnut) paste, do we truly enjoy them. But for the fruit and veggie lovers, they are a wonderful treat and in-between-meal snack. But you can do more with these succulent vegetables, by making them into a rich stew.
Garden egg sauce can be made in a variety of ways. Here’s a recipe for a basic delicious tasting sauce that you can enjoy. First, you know there are different species of this egg-shaped plant. The most common ones are the white, elliptical shaped species which sometimes have green streaks on them; and the dark green, more rounded specie. For this sauce, the white variety tastes better.
- Shredded pieces of beef, cow leg, and *cow hide (kponmo), and *cow tripe (shaki).
- A dozen medium sized garden eggs
- Palm oil
- *3 medium sized tomatoes
- Red bell peppers and paprika (tatashe), ground
- 1 large sized onion
- Crayfish, ground
- Dried fish (e.g. catfish)
- Salt to taste
*These ingredients are optional.
1. Season and boil the pieces of meat till done.
2. Steam garden eggs for some minutes until tender. (Some people prefer boiling, but with steaming you achieve the same softness and retention of vital nutrients).
3. Chop tomatoes and onions.
4. Heat a frying pan over the cooker. Add some palm oil, then add the onions and sauté for about 2 minutes.
5. If you are using tomatoes add this first, and fry for a few minutes. Otherwise, just add the ground mix of pepper and deseeded paprika and fry for a few minutes.
6. Soak and wash the fish in hot water and salt. Add the washed fish, stir and fry.
7. Add the meat and the stock; simmer for about 3 to 5 minutes.
8. Mash the garden eggs (you may remove the skin and seeds if you want) and add to the pot. Stir for a few minutes; let it simmer, and turn of the heat.
Now it’s ready! Enjoy your sauce with boiled yam, plantain, sweet potatoes, or rice.
About the Author
BlackBeauty is a writer, fun lover, hair and beauty buff, and an artist. She is a jack of all trades and master of all which can be seen in her awareness of a wide variety of topics. She is quite a luddite, but she can do email, and a bit of Facebook. You can send her an email at email@example.com, and she will reply.