Forbes Africa recently released a top ten list of highest paid music stars in Africa. The Magazine responsible for Africa’s rich and powerful list, used factors such as endorsements, record deals and hits by the stars, to determine the ranking order among the music entertainers. United States based African Hip-hop artiste, Akon, ranked number one, while Don Jazzy, Chief Executive Officer of Mavin Records, came in at second place and first in Nigeria. Ghana’s Sarkodie ranked eighth, while Nigeria’s Banky W was ranked at number ten.
The complete list and description as compiled by Forbes is below:
- Akon: Senegalese-American tops the list – Founder of Konvict Music, gave bigger platforms to other African artistes such as P-Square and Wizkid.
- Don Jazzy: Ranks as Best African and Nigerian Music Producer. CEO of Marvin Records, serves as brand ambassador to Samsung, Loya Milk and MTN across Africa. Influential producer: He has produced songs for D’Banj, Kanye West, Beyonce and American Rap Mogul Jay Z.
- P-Square: Ranked as Best African Music Group. Featured on Forbes Magazine for Africa twice, sold out concerts, and presidential guests in at least five African countries. They also own a private jet.
- D’banj: Musical artiste and CEO of DB Records. International music brand, GOOD Music, Def Jam, Mercury deal, Sony Entertainment Music distribution deal.
- Wizkid: Music artist signed on Banky W’s EME recording company. Affiliation with Disturbing London, international collaboration with Wale and others, performed twice on stage with American Pop Singer Chris Brown, and he is the highest paid Pepsi ambassador in Africa. He is also an ambassador for MTN.
- 2Face Idibia: Music artiste. Produces 10 million discs and has at least 7 million digital sale. He is a United Nations Ambassador for Youth and Peace, associated with Guinness, Haven Homes, Airtel Worldwide and is also a philanthropist through his Tuface Idibia Foundation.
- Anselmo Ralph: Music artiste; Samsung and Coca Cola ambassador. Known as the ‘Angolan Prince’, he owns a perfume line, clothing label, a multimillion dollar tour bus, and he is a Sony Music African artiste.
- Sarkodie: Ghanaian rapper. Presidential youth ambassador in Ghana, owns Sark Clothing, and is a Samsung and Fan Milk ambassador in Ghana.
- Ice Prince: Music artiste. Multiple award-winning rapper, Has received six million downloads; owns two studios; One Foundation member, Plug N Play ambassador, and owns Zamani Foundation.
- Banky W: Music artiste. Co-owner EME recording company; Samsung ambassador, philanthropist, multiple award winning artiste in the R&B and Soul categories.