Fifty-one years and still exuding great magnetic quality and radiant beauty, Joke Silva is a notable icon of the Nigerian movie industry. A mother, an actress/director, a wife and partner to her husband at the Lufodo Academy of Performing Arts and the pioneer managing director of Malete Film Village set up by the Kwara State University, it is a wonder how she juggles all her roles effectively. Connect Nigeria celebrates Joke Silva by sharing 7 attributes that make her an exemplary figure for Nigerian women.
1. Charisma: Joke Silva is one of the few women with an attractive personality just by the reason of being true to herself. She carries herself with dignity while her charming smile draws one to her. From her beautiful personality, she exudes her capacity to influence and see the beauty in living.
2. Icon of the Nigerian Movie Industry: She is known as the “Silva” lining of the Nigerian Movie Industry. With the coming of Joke Silva and her husband, Olu Jacobs into the Nigerian Movie scene came something new and different. Joke Silva and her husband were able to reinvent themselves as the light of change dawned on Nollywood. The history of Nollywood cannot be complete without the mention of this great woman, and her husband, that has contributed in no small measure to lifting the industry to greater heights.
3. Her marriage: Her marriage has lasted for 27 years and is waxing stronger every day. Joke Silva would be one of the first persons to say that marriage is not an institution for the fainthearted. She believes that for marriage to work and last for years, each party – man and woman must work consistently at it. She is not in support of women going through emotional hardship because society places the bulk of saving a marriage on her. ”Men have a part to play too,” she convincingly states. There were rumors at a time that her marriage with Olu Jacobs was heading for the rocks, but they silenced all doubts by renewing their vows in 2012. She talks about her husband as if she just met him yesterday. So far, we see a woman who has built up her home and we wish the couple more years of life and love on earth.
4. Aging gracefully: Joke Silva can easily pass for a woman in her early 40s as she still looks lovely and radiant even in her 50s. When asked if there was a secret to her staying ageless, she says she has no beauty secret and that it has been “God who has been helping me”
5. A mentor: She nurtures upcoming actresses to become the best in the field. She is a role model and mentor to many entertainers in her field. She works with Project Fame as the principal of the academy and as the Pioneer MD of Malete Film Village in Kwara, she has proven that building her trade skills in others is very important to her. She also serves as the Director of Studies at the Lufodo Academy of Performing Arts.
6. A great actress: She came into the acting industry in 1981 and had her first break in the English movie titled ’Mind Bending’ in 1990 and ’Owurolojo’ in 1993. Since then she has not looked back. Joke has received several awards and nominations for her works as an actress including awards for Best Actress in a Leading Role at the African Movie Academy Awards in 2006 and Best Actress in a Supporting Role at the African Movie Academy Awards in 2008. When asked to recall how many movies she has featured in since the start of her career, it wa a surprise to learn that her total is about 40 movies because she is very selective of the scripts she accepts. Now a director, she features in fewer movies. But Nigerians will always see her as one of the great actresses of our time.
7. Stylish: Her fashion style is usually a mix of elegance and casual. She likes to be ready for anything to happen. As a trained actress, her ability to always be ready for performance is crucial but she does not lose her elegance in the process. Her smile is always a ready accessory that complements perfectly anything she puts on.