I’m not exactly good at baking anything, but I’m very good at trying over and over again. With all the recipes available on the internet, let’s just say my oven has been getting more use than initially anticipated.
For most people who use an oven, whether frequently or rarely, thoroughly cleaning it can be a chore, especially when you’ve let splatter accumulate over time. It also doesn’t help that a lot of cleaning detergents contain chemicals harmful to the body.
It’s very easy to clean your oven using everyday kitchen staples like baking soda; that way, you don’t keep putting off cleaning your oven and accumulating dirt. Baking soda is very popular and effective as a cooking, cleaning and disinfecting ingredient. I’m yet to use it for cleaning without getting excellent results. The steps below are all you need for a quick cleaning.
1. Switch off your oven and let it cool down completely.
2. Spray the inside of the oven with water, to dampen the surface.
3. Sprinkle a generous amount of baking soda all over the damp surface.
4. Leave for a minimum of one hour.
5. Wipe off the baking soda with a cleaning sponge. You don’t even have to scrub to see all dirt come off.
6. Clean oven with a cloth.
Baking soda is safe for cleaning and you can use it to clean your oven any time you want.
About the author: Amina Salau is a writer and editor running The Illuminated Pen. You can find her online at www.theilluminatedpen.com and on Twitter (@_Aminah)