The desire to look and feel good is essential to a woman’s self esteem but when it comes to fashion tips, it sometimes seems like we all can’t agree on what is important and what isn’t so important. With that in mind, I have compiled a list of items – in no particular order – I think every woman should have in her wardrobe in order to achieve that ultimate fashionista feel every day. You can’t go wrong with these items – trust me:
1. A brooch: Don’t be caught in public with an office pin on the little openings that pop up between the buttons of your shirt; wear a brooch instead!
2. A pair of comfortable nude shoes: Getting late for work, a movie or dinner date and can’t seem to find the perfect footwear? The nude in any form – pumps, wedges, stilettos, flats etc. is always a saviour at the time of a fashion crisis. It goes well with every colour. Pick a style you are comfortable in and you are ready to shine.
3. A scarf: Scarves are made of different varieties of fabrics and come in wide range of colours. Depending on the weather, you can use one made of wool, cotton or silk. You can wear it draped around the neck, over the shoulders, etc. and get the perfect look every day.
4. A good perfume: The right perfume gives a finishing touch to everything you wear. Invest in a good one and people will always look forward to your presence.
5. A black blazer: This is another must have. It is a versatile piece that goes to work or play and can be worn with pants, jeans, skirts, and dresses. You can wear it with a camisole, tank top, t-shirt, button-down white shirt, or any other top. Instantly rev up your business appearance by wearing a black blazer for a meeting or presentation.
6. A handbag: This is an accessory a lady can’t – and shouldn’t – live without. Simply put: we carry our lives in our bags.
7. A head scratch-er: Don’t laugh please; it is very essential. Enough of the head banging; it makes us look crazy. Get a head scratch-er and put it in your handbag whenever you have your weaves on.
8. White button down shirt: It’s a fashion basic because it goes with just about anything. To get the most fashion mileage from a white button-down shirt, choose one with classic styling: pointed collar, long sleeves, button-down front, and cotton or cotton blend fabric.
9. Little black dress: It can go from day (wear it to the office with a cardigan or blazer and a set of pearls and leather pumps) to night (take off the blazer or cardigan and add some makeup, jewelry, and heels). It should be sexy, yet sophisticated. It should also be well-made and fit like a glove. It should hide your flaws and accentuate your attributes.
10. Pencil skirt: An office meeting? A formal dinner? Or a date night? A pencil skirt is your go-to option. You can team it up with a blazer for a meeting, wear it with a silk blouse for a date night, or team it up with a white oxford shirt for a formal dinner. A pencil skirt suits women of all sizes and looks classy effortlessly. Avoid the body hugging pencil skirts or the skirts that are too short; you want to look classy not trashy.
11. A statement jewelry piece: Whether it is a coveted necklace or a trendy cocktail ring, all women need those beloved jewels to dazzle in every event. Remember that the jewelry of choice can be a simple and every day accessory that pulls a look together or a bold piece that serves as the centerpiece of your look. It depends on your personality and bank account.
12. A bright coloured lipstick: I prefer red lipsticks but you can choose one that you are comfortable with and turn an ordinary look into a red carpet look. It should be bold, beautiful and edgy. Contrary to popular belief, the black woman can use a bright coloured lipstick; there is nothing like ‘I am too dark in complexion for red lipstick’ – Lupita Nyong’o … duh!
Refill your wardrobe with these must haves and you would never have to be afraid of being a walking fashion disaster again. What do you think? Is this list exhaustive enough or you feel there other fashion items that should make this list? Drop your comments in the comment section.
About the Writer: Ejura Salihu is a freelance Writer and Copyeditor. Connect with her on twitter @Icyquin_msc