Groundnut soup is a very spicy and tasty soup that is enjoyed by Ghanaians and some Nigerians in Northern and southern Nigeria. It is very delicious and it is prepared using roasted groundnut, oziza seeds, beef, scent leaves etc. Here is how to prepare this delicacy:
1. 500g assorted parts of meat (washed)
2. 1 medium smoked fish (washed)
3. 225g stockfish
4. 225g bushmeat (washed)
5. 500g roasted groundnuts
7. 100g ground crayfish
8. 25g iru (locust beans)
10. Oziza seeds (optional)
11. 2 medium fresh tomatoes
12. 100g / 4oz ground pepper
13. 1 onion
14. 3 large pepper (tatase)
15. Scent leaves
16. Salt to taste
1. Place the washed beef, cow skin, stock fish in a pot. Add onions, salt and seasoning and boil.
2. After boiling, add the washed smoked fish and boil for some minutes.
3. Add palm oil, pepper and the periwinkles.
4. To form the groundnut paste, blend the roasted groundnut and oziza seeds with crayfish and blend thoroughly.
5. Add the grounded groundnut paste little by little with a little water.
6. Stir and add the scent leaves and cook for 10 minutes.
7. Serve hot with fufu, pounded yam, or eba.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF GROUNDNUT SOUP
The health benefits of eating groundnut soup are numerous as groundnut is one of the most nutritious foods you can eat.
Below are a few of the benefits:
1. Groundnuts and groundnut products are very beneficial in the treatment of hemophilia and other inherited blood disorders. It is also helpful in reducing excessive menstruation bleeding in women.
2. Groundnuts are rich in vitamins and contain at least 13 different types of vitamins that includes: Vitamin A, B, C and E. Along with this, groundnuts are also rich in 26 essential minerals like calcium, iron, zinc, boron, etc. These help in brain function and development.
3. Groundnuts contain amino acids and are a good source of dietary protein – which is essential for growth and development.
To get more information on the benefits of groundnut, click here.
About the Writer: Ejura Salihu is a freelance Writer and Copyeditor. Connect with her on twitter @Icyquin_msc