Are you a fan of the talented photographer and artiste, or just an admirer? Here are 10 interesting things about TY Bello:
- Before she became one of Nigeria’s leading photographers, she was known mainly as a singer and (along with Dipo Torimori, Lara Bajomo and Emem Ema) was part of a Nigerian Gospel group, Kush, which pushed her into the limelight. After the group split, she went solo. She released her debut studio album, Greenland, in 2008.
- She is a graduate of the University of Lagos, where she was admitted to study Accounting but later switched to Economics.
- She has a certificate in beauty therapy and cosmetology from Opral Benson’s Beauty Institute.
- She’s also a skilled hair stylist. As an undergraduate, she turned the corridor of her room into a salon and named it F202 Style Studio. She also ran a salon in her home on Kingsway Road in the 90s.
- She was trained by renowned photographer Don Barber, with whom she went to train after spending the first four months of her NYSC year at Fototech.
- She wed her husband Kashetu Bello in January 2005, and they were blessed with twins, Christian and Christopher, in October 2014.
- Ty Bello was the official photographer to the former President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Goodluck Ebele Jonathan.
- Her birthday is January 14
- Her favourite colour is orange.
- Her father, Remi Sokefun of blessed memory, was a dedicated television producer who often hosted top musicians in his home, including the late Fela Kuti.
Photo credit: notjustok.com