Title: Ellie And The Cat
Author: Malorie Blackman
Publisher: Cassava Republic Press
Number of pages: 93
Type of Book: Fiction
Available here: http://www.cassavarepublic.biz/products/ellie-and-the-cat
MY SUMMARY (without the ending):
This is a delightful story about friendship and a little girl called Ellie. Ellie is a very mouthy kid. She calls her grandma ‘dumpy and frumpy’ to her face and complains about EVERYTHING. But Ellie is really just a lonely child who has no friends. When Grandma decides to teach Ellie a lesson by switching her with Jolly the cat, Ellie learns to be less mouthy and makes new friends. But will she find Grandma’s ring before the time limit or remain a cat forever?
THUMBS UP AND DOWN
UP: Humour! The book made me laugh. I especially loved the names of the mouse and spider, Grimbledon Scunacrunch and Vinegar Blunderthud respectively. It also teaches some moral lessons without being didactic.
RATING: 3.5 stars
1. Was Jolly a good cat or a bad cat? Bad cat
2. Who thought Jolly was a good cat? Grandma
3. Who thought Jolly was a bad cat? The Spiders and the Mice
4. How many magic tricks did Ellie’s Grandma perform: 1. She switched Ellie and Jolly the cat. 2. She made Ellie’s dinner appear on her plate after Ellie had thrown it under the table.
5. The ‘best silk tapestries’ made by Vinegar Blunderthud were really ____? Cobwebs
CREATE (Write a Story/Poem or Draw)
- What do you think would have happened if Ellie hadn’t found her Grandma’s ring? Write a different ending for the book (200 words) OR write a review of the book (100 words).
- Draw a picture of Ellie with Vinegar Blunderthud, Grimbledon Scunacrunch and Jolly the Cat
- Write a poem on the importance of having friends
Send your answers to firstname.lastname@example.org
Entry requirements: Entrants must be within the 6-8 age range. The best entry will be announced on ConnectNigeria.com and will win a copy of this book.
Answers must be submitted before 12:00 noon on Thursday, August 20th.