If you have extremely sensitive skin, and rather oily skin like I do, this article is definitely for you!
An oily skin is caused by over-active glands that produce too much sebum. Although in the right amount natural oils keep our skin looking healthy and youthful and reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, too much oil can clog your pores and cause epic breakouts. Oily skin can be genetic, caused by an hormone fluctuation caused by external factors, i.e pregnancy, menstruation, stress, birth control pills and the use of some skin care products.
So this week, I will be sharing with you some of the regime I have imbibed with time which have greatly helped in maintaining a balanced and radiant skin.
1. Clay Mask: Believe me, clay masks work magic in removing dirt, make up, dead skin cells and various other impurities from the skin while also tightening the pores, giving you a cleaner and more refined skin tone.
Process: Mix 3 tablespoons of fuller’s earth – you can get it at any professional cosmetic shop or spa shop – and rose/plain water to form a paste, then apply to your face and leave on for about 20 minutes. Rinse well with water afterwards.
2. Vinegar: White and Apple Cider Vinegar work greatly in exfoliating the skin and balancing the hormones responsible for over production of oil.
Process: Use the cotton ball to apply the vinegar to your face, leave it on for about 5-10 minutes, then rinse with cool water.
3. Salt: Yeah, you read that right (smiles). As a disinfectant and a natural frying agent, salt is one of the most effective ways to remove excess oil. Although it does not totally get rid of the oil, but it helps a great deal in managing it.
Process: Fill your spray bottle with tepid water and add a teaspoon of salt, then spray it all over your face (while closing your eyes) without rinsing the face (I recommend at night before sleeping). You can do this daily.
4. Lemon juice: I can bet some of you have been tapping your feet to see if Enn_Mae will mention the magic working lemon (Believe me I’m super in love with lemon and its numerous uses). Lemon juice does an amazing job of drying out excess oil, revitalizing and rejuvenating your skin.
Process: Mix equal parts of water and freshly squeezed lemon juice. Apply it on your face and wait for it to get really dry. Once it is dry, rinse with warm water and cool water (I do this on most days right before shower).
5. Orange peel: An orange peel actually contains astringents, which help to control oil secretion and blemishes.
Process: Dry an orange peel in the sun; blend it to form powder. Mix the powder with rosewater to make a paste, apply to your face and leave on for 15 minutes then rinse with water.
6. Apple: I think I fell in love with this particular regime because apple happens to be my favourite fruit. Apples are rich in fiber, Vitamin C and Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHA) which tone, soften and moisturize the skin.
Process 1: Mix ½ cup mashed apple, ½ cup oatmeal, 1 slightly beaten egg white and 1 teaspoon lemon juice to create a paste. Apply to your face and leave on for 15-20 minutes, rinse with cool water.
Process 2: De-seed and crush a fresh apple, mix with 4 tablespoons of honey, apply to your face and leave on for 15-20 minutes then rinse with warm water.
There you have it! Do not forget to share your very own special beauty secrets with me ( A sister’s got to know these things you know *winks*). Catch up with me on Instagram and Twitter @Enn_Mae.
Have a fabulous and beautiful weekend.
About the Writer: Eniola Adeniji is a woman after God’s own heart, a motivational Writer, Speaker, Fashion and Photography addict. She is also a Business Developer, Social Media Manager and the founder of Woman Of Value. She blogs at ennmae.wordpress.com