After spending quite a lot of money on coconut oil for my hair and sometimes being a victim of a very bad one, I decided to research how I can make my own. Making coconut oil, I found out is actually quite easy and inexpensive. Deciding to make your own will save you a whole lot of hassle and money. Although there are quite a lot of options for making coconut oil, this is one of the ones that require the use of heat.
- 2 cups of distilled water
- I brown coconut, nutmeat removed
- A small saucepan
- Kitchen sieve
- Medium small pan
- Heat the water in a small saucepan over medium heat
- Then grate the coconut meat into a bowl
- Place the coconut and hot water in a blender and cover securely (Remember to let the hot water sit a few minute to prevent the liquid from over flowing) , then allow the two to mix properly
- Puree the coconut and water in the blender
- Now line the sieve with a layer or two of cheesecloth and place in a medium sized bowl
- Pour the coconut puree into the sieve and press the liquid into the bowl, using a spatula or any large spoon. After a thorough press, add a little water to get the last bit out.
- Place the liquid in a medium size saucepan and bring to a boil over a high heat, while stirring constantly. You will notice as the coconut oil separates from the cream and the water will then evaporate
- When it all becomes brownish in colour, strain the liquid oil through your kitchen sieve into a container.
You now have your very own homemade coconut oil. Store your container in a safe place for use whenever you need it.