So you have all these great plans and dreams for the new year. Perhaps, they involve taking your business to the next level or finally building that dream home that has been on your mind for years.
But here is a consideration to factor in. It is one thing to set goals, and another to see the outcome of these goals. That is why the SMART model of goal setting is a must-use approach as we enter 2016 to the benefit of our personal and professional lives.
What is the SMART Model?
- Goals must be SPECIFIC. They must answer the 5 Ws which are what you want to achieve, why you want to achieve it, where, when and for whom.
- They must be MEASURABLE. How else would you know if your goals are being achieved in the first place, or the progress being made towards them, particularly if they are long-term? Remember to specify how you would know they have even been attained.
- They must be REALISTIC. Yes, it’s good to have high hopes but even the Bible speaks of the folly of building a house without a cost analysis of the resources at your disposal. That’s what makes it realistic – being able to look at what you have in hand, and making sure the goal in mind is feasible. Resources also ties in to motivation and drive to see them through because challenges and obstacles will come, you can expect that.
- They must be TIMEBOUND. After all, goals are dreams with a deadline in place. In other words, if there is no deadline, it is just a dream with half a chance of coming true. That final date on the dotted line gets you committed to see it through.
Other things to consider:
- Displaying your goals where they will be seen always, so they are constantly in the forefront of your mind. By your bed, or your bathroom mirror, perhaps?
- Telling trusted people about them. That way, you’re held accountable!
Have a successful 2016 ahead!