EbonyLife TV’s compelling new series, The Governor, is powered by a cast well known to Nigerians, except for the Governor herself! We know her father, her husband, her son, her Chief of Staff, and even her detractors, but the questions on many lips have been, “Who is this woman?” and “Where did she come from?”
The role of Angela Ochello, former deputy governor and now governor of Savannah State, is played by the charming, talented Caroline Chikezie. Here are some interesting facts about her:
- There have been many comments on how young the governor of Savannah State looks, but Ms. Chikezie is 42 years old. She was born on the 19th of February 1974.
- She is the daughter of Alfred and Monica Chikezie, a doctor and midwife.
- Her hometown is Nnewi, but she was born and raised in London, and didn’t visit Nigeria until her parents sent her to Anambra State when she was 14 years old, to finish her secondary school education.
- She spent one year in medical school, due to her parents’ wish that she become a medical doctor. However, she couldn’t let go of her acting ambition, and secretly applied to drama school; which she couldn’t afford.
- She earned a degree in Dramatic Arts at the Academy of Life and Performing Arts in Chelsea where she studied for three years on a full scholarship, something she considers to be divine intervention since she couldn’t have paid for it despite her applying secretly.
- She is a well-known British star, and has had roles in several movies including Brothers and Sisters, Virtual Sexuality, and TV series like Holby City, Casualty, and As If, the British teen soap that made her a household name in the UK thanks to her character Sasha Williams. However, it was the TV series Footballers’ Wives, where she played Elaine Hardy, that really brought her to limelight.
- Although she is described as a British actress of Igbo descent, American producers love her, and have cast her in several roles over the years. She acted alongside Charlize Theron in Aeon Flux, and featured in Mistress of Spices, which starred Aishwarya Rai. She also played Djimon Honsou’s daughter in Eragon.
The Governor airs on EbonyLife TV (DSTV Channel 165) every Thursday at 9pm. You can keep up with happenings in Savannah State on Twitter @TheGovernor_EL