The first thing that comes to mind when you read or hear “Matilda Obaseki” is probably Tinsel, and with good reason; the soap catapulted her to stardom. The pretty, talented actress will grace our screens again in the soon-to-be-released movie Hurt Within, so we thought you should know a few interesting things about her:
- Matilda is the 7th of her father’s 13 children.
- She was born and raised in Benin and only moved to Lagos to pursue an acting career.
- She hit the big 30 on March 19th this year; she was just in her early twenties when she started playing Angela Dede.
- She nearly missed the Tinsel auditions; by the time she got there the forms were finished, but her friend found a crumpled form on the floor and encouraged her to use it. The rest is history.
- She left school for acting. Tinsel was a long-term commitment and there was no way she could juggle acting in Lagos and studying for her degree in English at the University of Benin, so she had to make a choice, and she chose the M-net soap because school would always be there but this opportunity of a lifetime would not.
- Before Tinsel, she played the role of the maid in the TV programme US, where she featured in just three episodes before she had to leave for Tinsel.
- Her first movie was the 2014 Steve Gukas film A Place in the Stars where she worked alongside Gideon Okeke and Segun Arinze. Shooting began in 2008.
- The talented actress married Arnold Mozia in Benin City on 21 September 2013, after they had their first child in 2012. The couple welcomed another son in 2015.
Hurt Within is the tale of a scorned woman, a thrilling love story filled with revenge, betrayal and hope. We can’t wait to watch Matilda do a fabulous job, as always. You can see the movie trailer here.