Onions are a must-have when cooking but most people do not know other numerous uses of onions apart from it being a great ingredient for cooking sumptuous meals. Onions are rich in antioxidants, calcium, potassium and fibre, they also contain vitamin B and vitamin C. Some of the many benefits of onions are:
- Boosting immunity: Onions contain a high level of phytochemicals which have the ability to boost the body’s immune system naturally by helping it to resist infections and diseases and to heal faster and recover from illnesses already present in the body.
- Pain relief: Onions have the capacity to reduce the pain and burning sensation felt from insect bites and bee stings. Onions also have anti-inflammatory, antibiotic and antiseptic properties that help ease the pain from insect stings. Just squeeze a little of its juice onto the affected area and it will help in healing the part.
- Prevents cancer: Research has shown that regular consumption of onions can lower the risk of developing ovarian and colorectal cancer. The high amount of flavonoids present in onions, especially Quercetin has cancer-fighting abilities as it prevents the formation of tumours.
- Bones care: Onions are very rich in calcium and sulphur which helps in the development and maintenance of connective tissue and strong healthy bones in the body. These minerals help to prevent bone loss, especially in elderly people.
- Helps in digestion: Fibre aids in maintaining and clearing the digestive tract. When onions are consumed in a large proportion, they can serve as a cleanser of the digestive system because of their high level of fibre.
- Skin care: Since onions possess antimicrobial properties, they can be used to get rid of certain skin infections by rubbing it on the affected parts. Onion juice can also be rubbed on exposed part of the body to repel insects and prevent them from biting the skin.