If you are someone that finds it difficult to make new friends, then this piece is for you. It might seem a hard task to connect with people and trust them in a special way especially if you are just meeting them but it can be pretty easy if you know how to go about it. Making new friends is not as difficult as some people make it seem. The golden rule is to know the type of friends you want and keep away from the ones you do not want to be associated with. Here are some tips that can guide you when you are choosing new friends:
- Understand them: It is a known point that you cannot associate with someone you do not understand because there will be a lot of disagreements and misunderstandings plaguing the relationship. If you take your time to try and discover the type of person you want to befriend, relating with them will soon become an effortless task. So, the first step is to know the person you are friends with.
- Be slow to judge: Remember that there are different people out there and there is no ‘one size fits all’. When making new friends, you should learn not to judge and criticise every single move they make. It is better to accept each individual the way they are instead of focusing on their negative aspects.
- Reach out: Do not always be the receiving partner in friendship. At times, you also need to reach out to your friends by buying them gifts and being there for them any time they need help. Relying on friends for too many needs will make you a liability instead of an asset. And who likes a liability?
- Spend time together: If you want to make new friends, then you have to be prepared to spend quality time with them so as to get to know them better. Sacrificing a little bit of your time to enjoy with friends would not hurt your schedule that much. However, ensure that making new friends should not put too much pressure on your personal activities.
- A friend in need: When making new friends, have it at the back of your mind that a time will come when you will have to help them with challenging circumstances. Life cannot always be smooth, so be prepared to weather the storm with your friends when the time comes. Do not become a fair weather friend that thinks only of himself.