REPORTS from South Korea’s Yonhap News Agency suggest that Samsung is gearing up to recall its just recently unveiled Galaxy Note 7 phone worldwide. This follows reports from across the globe of problems with the device’s battery. About 35 cases of the phone exploding have been noted by Samsung, the South Korean company says.
It had been reported on Wednesday that Samsung was delaying shipments of its new product in order to enable it carry out extra quality control tests on it. Apparently, the firm has decided that the problems with the phone are serious enough to warrant its recall. Yonhap quotes a source from the electronics giant as saying that the cases of devices catching fire (while batteries were being charged) accounted for less than 0.1 percent of the product sold.
The Galaxy Note 7 has been made available for sale in 10 countries on August 19. American news agency CNN says that Samsung could be replacing the Note 7 with a new product, “regardless of when it was purchased”.