Makeup comes in very handy for most women, enhancing natural beauty and lifting one’s spirits. Whether you’re one to go the whole nine yards, or you’re a “less is more” person, bad makeup habits can cause serious problems. Some habits to cut out of your life right away are:
1. Using your eye makeup anywhere else. Cosmetics you use for your eyes should not be used anywhere else, as it may pick up germs which will be transferred to your eyes. A classic example of this is using the same pencil as eye and lip liner.
2. Keeping eye makeup after an eye infection. If you recently treated an eye infection, all the eye makeup you were using at that time should be thrown away.
3. Sharing makeup with others. It is unhygienic and risky to share makeup. Be sure to use your own makeup and brushes always, and avoid sharing them with others. You risk dealing with a nasty breakout that can take forever to clear up if you persist in this habit.
4. Not reading labels. The labels on cosmetic containers offer “cautions” and “warnings” that can protect you from potential harm, as well as directions on proper usage. So if you usually ignore them, make a firm decision to start reading them right away.
5. Not washing your hands before applying makeup. The importance of applying makeup with clean hands cannot be overemphasized. Be kind to your skin.
6. Adding saliva to makeup. Again, your health should be at the top of your mind, and this includes healthy skin.
7. Holding on to expired cosmetics. Always check the expiry dates on cosmetics you buy. In most cases, no date is written, but you’ll see a tiny depiction of an open lid and a number of months beside it, signifying how long the makeup can stay after being opened before it goes bad.
8. Not washing your tools. Makeup brushes and puffs that are not disposable should be washed and properly dried at regular intervals. Many breakouts are simply a result of using dirty makeup tools.
9. Mixing random products. Feeling like a pro and trying to make your own “product” by mixing two different ones you have, can end up very badly. Use every product as directed by the manufacturer and avoid experimenting by mixing, as the chemicals contained in the different products might not go well together.
10. Going to bed with makeup on. This has to be the worst makeup habit of all time. If this is you, please replace this habit with a new one – washing off all makeup before going to bed. Practice this religiously. On the rare occasion that you are too tired to wash your face, use makeup removal wipes. Your face will thank you!