Scotch eggs are a staple snack found in most Nigerian fast foods. Originally a Scottish delicacy, we have adopted it as one of ours because it is just so yum. Surprisingly enough it is easy to make. You can now save yourself venturing out for this snack.
- 400 grams beef sausages
- 5 pcs eggs
- 1 pc seasoning cube
- 2 pinches nutmeg powder
- 75 grams bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 pinches salt
- 3 cups vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- Boil the eggs for about 5 minutes and then cool under cold running water for a few minutes. Peel the eggs and set aside.
- Slit open the sausages and squeeze the content into a medium bowl. Mix in ¾ teaspoon black pepper, ¼ teaspoon nutmeg, ½ teaspoon thyme (optional), salt and seasoning cube until well combined. Divide the meat mixture into 4 parts.
- Lay out 3 different bowls/plates. One with bread crumbs, another with flour and the third with 1 beaten raw egg. Flour your hands and take 1 part of the meat mixture and flatten.
- Roll the eggs in flour. Mould the flattened meat mixture around the eggs following its shape. Gently do this using your hands until egg is totally enclosed. Then roll meat covered egg in flour and shake off any excess. After this dip in raw egg before covering with breadcrumbs. Dip once again in egg and then breadcrumbs for a good coating. Repeat this process for all the eggs.
- Pour oil into a frying/deep pan and place on medium heat until hot enough to deep fry. Place the scotch eggs in the oil and allow to fry until brown and quite crispy.
- Place on a paper towel-lined flat plate/sieve to drain the oil.
Serve with a cold drink.