Instead of spending time hunting for curtains that you end up not liking, you can make beautiful curtains for your new home. Add a fresh, beautiful appearance to your home with curtains by using methods that would require minimum sewing skills. There are numerous ways of styling your curtains; choose from any you admire and follow the pattern. It is best not to be a total copycat of ideas, you can, however, have a template you hope to use and adapt them to suit your own home by creating your own one of a kind item.
You can make use of fabric glues, safety pins and rubber bands, fusible tapes, clips and clip rings, mini clip rings, hot glue gun, iron on hem tape. However, if you have hyperactive children and you are afraid of your hard work getting torn, or you have investigative “amebo” neighbors and you don’t want them to notice the tackiness, you can make use of simple needle and thread or with a sewing machine.
- Coordinating thread
- Ink Marker
- Measuring Tape
- Sewing Machine or sewing needle
- Clips rings
- Choose a fabric
- Measure the length of the needed fabric by measuring your windows or your curtain rod.
- Prepare your fabric by washing and ironing before sewing in order to measure and sew accordingly.
- Divide your fabrics into two if you need two panels.
- Fold the edges of each curtain panel into about a half inch on each side.
- Insert pins into the folded edges and iron carefully the edges to make it attractive.
- Remove the pins, now sew the hems in the interior folded edge of the hem.
- Repeat the same process on the opposite side of the hem. Continue around the edges of each fabric panel, bottom hem with back stitching, which means sewing in reverse.
- Make pocket space for the rod: At the top edge of the curtain, turn under ½ to the wrong side and press with an iron. Turn under another 2 inches and press again: pin in place, stitch the seam approximately 1/8 inches from the interior folded edge, back- stitch at the beginning and the end of the seam to secure.
- Do the same for the other curtain panel.
- Hang your curtains so that you can admire your creative flair. You can beautify with clips or rings for more splendor.