Sugar cane is known to provide energy and glucose to our body and give us strength. Sugarcane juice is extracted from the cane by pressing it through iron rollers or through a mixie at home. The syrup-like juice is highly nutritious and refreshing, it contains about 15 % natural sugar that is rich in organic salts and vitamins. The juice can also be used for drinking or sweetening. Ginger, lemon or lime can be added to improve its flavour. Even with its sugar content and sweetness, it is also good for diabetic patients. It has natural sugar which has a low glycemic index that prevents a steep rise in blood glucose levels in diabetics, so it can act as a substitute for carbonated drinks. However, people with Type-2 diabetes should consume it in moderation and, after, consult with their doctors.
- Lemon juice: 1 Tsp. (optional)
- Ginger ( optional)
- Water 1/4 cup
- Ice cube: 3-4 cubes
- Wash the sugarcane and peel the hard outer layer of sugarcane using a knife.
- Cut the peeled sugarcane into small cubes. Add sugarcane cubes and ginger in a mixie and grind it. Add little water and grind again. Drain the sugarcane extract in a glass(do the grinding part in batches).
- Squeeze it with your hand and extract the juice(if you want you can add it again into the mixie jar and add water grind it one more time).
- Extract the juice and serve with ice cubes and lemon juice.