A lot of us love custard (a posh alternative to pap or akamu) and have to keep buying packs and buckets unending of custard powder. Well, today I bring you good news, especially to those who love custard but are allergic to eggs, you can make your custard powder without adding eggs. You can also store it to use later.
100g of icing sugar
50g of dry milk powder
50g of corn flour
One teaspoon of vanilla powder (or alternatively, vanilla essence)
One teaspoon of fine salt
Few drops of yellow food coloring (liquid)
- Put all the ingredients in a very large bowl.
- Make sure to stir everything properly.
- If you have vanilla pods, you can use them too
- First, slice and scrape them and add to the bowl
- Stir the mixture again.
- Add the vanilla essence during the preparation (if you want to)
- Most importantly, ensure that all the ingredients must be a dry mixture.
Finally, transfer the powder into a jar with tight-fitting lid for good storing.
Note: The vanilla pods can be cut into big pieces and put into the container you will later the custard powder in. Your powder can be stored with the pod like this for a long time, without the mixture losing flavor.
Custard, like pap, can be taken with akara (bean cakes), fruits, or bread. You can also take it alone. It can be taken as breakfast, a side dish or as an appetizer.