Coconut milk is the liquid gotten from the grating of fresh, ripe coconut flesh.
It can be used to prepare the favourite coconut rice, smoothies, soups, desserts, sauce, drinks. Fresh, naturally made foods are healthier and more nutritious than processed foods. Find below a simple coconut milk recipe.
Fresh coconut(depends on the size of milk you need, but one coconut is fine).
2-3 cups of boiling hot water
Coconut water which will be gotten from the fresh coconut .
A very sturdy and strong blender or better still, a food processor
Cheesecloth or the Sifting cloth used for akamu
- Break the coconut.
- Pour the water into a bowl and keep it to one side (It will be used later in preparing our milk).
- Remove the coconut meat or flesh (the grammar you are most comfortable with). Place into a bowl and break into small pieces.
- Using a knife, peel off the hard brown outer skin of the coconut.
- Pour into the blender or food processor, alongside the coconut water and boiling hot water.
- Blend on high speed for at least 5 minutes.
- Line your sieve/sift with the cheesecloth and drain out the thick coconut milk using the sieve.
- Since most of the milk will remain after the sifting process, add a little water and use your hand to squeeze out the remaining milk.(Keep doing this until you remove all the milk)
- You will notice that the milk from the first sift and the latter one (squeezed with you hands) are quite different. The first is way thicker than the latter.
- Use a spoon to stir the mixture until blended
- Get creative while you’re at it. Feel free to tweak the original recipe, by including flavours.