Carrot oil is gradually becoming a sensation for skin and hair.
Extracted directly from carrots and infused into a carrier oil, the oil contains vitamin E and vitamin A, which prevent hair loss and promotes hair growth. Carrot oil is an excellent moisturiser for hair and skin, loaded with antibacterial and healing properties.
Ingredients & Instructions Culled from BeautyMunsta.
2 medium-sized carrots, unwashed
¾ cup of pure sunflower oil, extra virgin olive oil or my favourite: liquid coconut oil
Two clean glass jars
- Peel the carrots. Do not wash them. If they’re wet, dry them thoroughly with paper towels and leave them to completely dry without a drop of moisture before proceeding further.
- Next, grate your peeled carrots into a bowl and then transfer them into a clean glass jar.
- Fill up the jar with your oil of choice (sunflower, extra virgin olive oil, liquid coconut oil, etc.). Make sure the jar is filled to the top of the jar with oil. This prevents any air in the jar that will make the oil rancid.
Now store your jar in a warm area (a sunny window sill is a good place) and leave it there for about 2 weeks. Shake the jar everyday to allow the nutrients of the carrots to infuse into the oil.
- After 2 weeks, strain the oil using a fine plastic mesh strainer into the second clean glass jar. Use a funnel to avoid spillage.
- And your homemade carrot oil is ready for use! Label it ‘homemade carrot oil’ and mark the date. Store it in a cool dry place (the fridge is a good place) to lengthen its shelf life.