WhatsApp‘s Status update feature, which allows you to share photos, videos and GIF’s with your contacts, was introduced as a reinforcement of the previous status feature that no one ever sees unless they open your profile. Apparently, all Facebook-owned social and IM apps share the same feature too.
By default, status updates are set to be seen by all contacts but this can bother some users who do not like to share their daily status with everyone in their Contact List. There’s a chance you may not want all your contacts to view your status updates for whatever reason.
Fortunately, WhatsApp makes it easy to configure your status updates, allowing you to hide status from specific contacts, or to share your status only with certain selected contacts.
Follow the steps below to learn to hide your status from certain contacts.
- Open WhatsApp on your phone and swipe to the Status page.
- Click on the 3-dot hamburger menu on the top right corner and select status privacy.
- You have 3 options under Who can see your status updates as follows
- My contacts
- My contacts except
- Only share with
- 4. Choose the second option which is My Contacts Except and all your contacts will show up. Then choose the contact that you want to hide your status from.
- 5. You could also choose the last option Only Share With to share your status updates with just a few choice people.