notjustok.com is one of Nigeria’s top Music websites that provides access to Nigerian music videos, audios and gossip on the latest happenings in the Nigerian music entertainment industry. notjustok.com was born out of the desire to spread Nigerian music to all corners of the globe and it has been progressing ever since.
It was launched by Demola Ogundele in 2006. He started the platform as a personal blog for sharing his everyday experiences and lifestyle with people out there. While in the US, he realized the quality of Nigerian music had increased with the likes of Dbanj, Naeto C, and 9ice having the spotlight. Hence, he decided to take full advantage of this by sharing their music online. Initially, it was challenging for Ogundele to grab the attention of these artistes but soon he gained their trust and they began sending in their music.
The major breakthrough for notjustok.com was in 2008 when Ademola used a unique software to capture “Living Things” crooner, 9ice, performing on stage at Nelson Mandela’s 90th birthday. He uploaded the live streaming video of the performance on Youtube and surprisingly, the video got a lot of views. This was when he realized there was a place for Nigerian music online.
A Few Facts about notjustok.com
- notjustok.com was launched in 2006 by Ademola Ogundele.
- The name “Notjustok.com” was coined from Seth Godin’s book: Purple Cow: Transform Your Business By Being Remarkable.
- It started as a personal blog in 2006 but soon evolved into a music website after the encounter with 9ice.
- The major breakthrough for Notjustok.com came in 2008 after Ademola posted a clip of 9ice’s performance at Nelson Mandela’s birthday party which attracted more traffic to the website.
- Currently, Notjustok.com is managed by Ademola Ogundele and Ovie Ofugara.
- notjustok.com attracts up to 1.2 million viewers per month and it is one of the most visited websites in Nigeria.
- notjustok.com houses music and music videos from the hip-hop and contemporary genres.
- The website allows artistes to upload their songs to the public through an online platform called Mynotjustok.
- notjustok.com has contributed to the sales of popular music albums like M.I.2 by MI, C.E.O by Dagrin, Wizkid’s Superstar and The W Experience by Banky W.
- notjustok.com consecutively won the award of “Best Nigerian Music Website” for four years (2011 to 2014) at the City People Entertainment Awards and it was voted “Blog of The Year” at the 2013 edition of the Nigerian Entertainment Awards.