For a long time, teachers had to rely solely on a door-to-door system to market their services. Another group of players, students, were faced with the difficulty of finding the right tutors who fit their knowledge requirements and curriculum appropriately. For both parties, it was both daunting and time-consuming, and the odds of finding the right match were not that high. It was for this reason, Tuteria.com emerged to level the playing field for qualified tutors and students both seeking to have their needs met.
How Tuteria Was Born
On June 9, 2015, Godwin Benson, a First-Class Systems Engineering graduate from the University of Lagos, and his partner, Abiola Odeniyi, co-founded Tuteria. Godwin’s negative experience in Secondary School (when he was not paid by a parent whose children he taught Mathematics) inspired him to create a platform that would prevent him and other tutors from experiencing this on the future. He built Tuteria to satisfy two complementing needs:
- the need for students to find, evaluate, and compare lesson with their preferred tutors for whatever field of study they wish to pursue
- the need for qualified tutors to find the right clients capable of paying for their services.
Tuteria.com opens the door to a whole new world of learning where the most qualified tutors reside, lesson fees are well managed, and performance is supervised adequately.
Method of Selecting Qualified Tutors
On Tuteria.com, potential tutors go through a rigorous mode of verification before they are deemed fit to be qualified for the job. They are guided through a manual review that tests for their personality type, passion, and communication level. Moreover, tutors who specialize in subjects like Mathematics, Language, music; standardized tests like TOEFL, GRE, SAT, IELTS and even skills like Programming, Data analysis, Creative Writing and so on, are required to undergo competency tests which they have to pass before they can teach these subjects. On the other hand, teachers of non-testable subjects like Bead-making, Dance, and Photography, are evaluated based on their experience in these fields.
A Few Facts About Tuteria:
- Tuteria.com was co-founded in 2015 by Godwin Benson, a First-class graduate of the University of Lagos, and his partner, Abiola Odeniyi who is a top developer in Nigeria.
- Godwin was inspired to launch Tuteria when he encountered firsthand, the difficulties tutors and students faced in having their needs met.
- In April 2015, Godwin was one of the winners of the Microsoft Mobile devices and services “Passion to Empire” campaign.
- In 2016, Tuteria won the internet.org innovation challenge for education.
- In May 23rd, 2017, the website emerged winner of the African Price for Engineering innovation and received a $32000 price by UK’s Royal Academy of Engineering.