Meat is the flesh gotten off from animals which can be consumed in so many different ways. The consumption of various types of meat is, however, hinged on cultural and ethnic reasons. But whatever the reasons around its consumption, meat is essential for feeding because they contain the required amount of protein humans need.
Below are some amazing meat facts you probably didn’t know:
- The year 2013 recorded the most consumption of fish over meat.
- The first meal eaten by man on the moon was bacon cubes, coated with gelatin to avoid crumbs.
- There are about 19 billion chickens on earth.
- The word ‘carnival’ originally meant ‘a farewell to meat’ referencing the Catholic doctrine of avoiding meat during the Lenten period.
- Pork is world’s oldest and most popular meat, according to the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization.
- Usain Bolt reportedly ate approximately 1,000 nuggets of chicken, averaging 100 a day during the Beijing Olympics.
- Scientists are developing lab-grown meat as a way of providing cheap nutrition and improving animal welfare.
- Pork meat is cheaper than other meats and contains a fair amount of selenium and zinc.
- Lamb meat is gotten from a sheep less than one-year-old and it is extremely expensive.
- Mutton is the meat gotten from an adult sheep.
- Venison meat refers to the flesh of a deer or any game killed during hunting.
- Duck meat is quite popular among the Chinese.
- A wild boar is a pig that roams freely in the wild; the meat is also called wild boar.
- The word meat originates from the Old English word mete is meant food.