Following the abrupt but well-timed decision of the Lagos State Government to shut down the Third Mainland Bridge for a four-day maintenance test, alternative routes have been made available to motorists pending the test completion.
For over 30 years since it was opened, the Third Mainland Bridge has undergone haphazard maintenance that over time has caused a significant decline in the structural integrity of the bridge. In order to avoid a calamitous event, the Federal Government had earlier planned to shut down the bridge in July, but postponed it to properly consult with the state government and stakeholders on the right move to make.
The bridge will be shut down from midnight of August 23 to midnight of August 26, 2018 for the tests.
- Ikorodu Road:
From Ketu/Ojota down to Fadeyi:
- Through Funsho Williams Avenue to Apongbon/CMS
- Through Jibowu/Murtala Muhammed way to Oyingbo/Iddo/Carter Bridge
- Lagos Abeokuta Express/Agege Motor Road
From Tollgate through Oshodi, Mushin to link Funsho Williams Avenue
- Gbagada Express
From Berger or Ketu through Ojota Bridge/Ogudu/Carwash, connect Gbagada express to Anthony
- Link Ikorodu Road, continue as  above.
- Through Oshodi connect Agege Motor road and continue as  above.
Feature image: saharareporters.com