There have been some misconceptions about the pineapple core. Some people feel it’s poisonous and discard it while some don’t consume it because it is much tougher and not as sweet and juicy as the fleshy part.
Remarkably, the core of the pineapple is edible and contains valuable vitamins and nutrients. It also has great health benefits.
The pineapple core is as nutritious as the pineapple flesh. It contains vitamin C, calories, more fibre, and is a rich source of manganese.
The core contains the highest concentration of naturally occurring bromelain, a protein enzyme with anticoagulant properties, located in the stem, brown peel, flesh and core of the pineapple. The core has an even higher level of bromelain than the fruit peel., and one to two of it is really the most you should eat in a single day.
- Bromelain has benefits which include acting as a pain reliever, blood thinner and anti-coagulant. It is nature’s aspirin for chronic pain condition, like endometriosis or arthritis. It is an effective natural way of reducing arthritic pain. As a precaution, avoid taking aspirin (or any other medicinal blood thinners) while consuming pineapple on a daily basis.
- Bromelain helps in clotting blood. Thus, it aids healing of wounds or bruises.
- Bromelain also improves the heart’s health and helps in thinning of the mucus in conditions like asthma, for easy breathing.
- It is also an anti-inflammatory agent. Bromelain in pineapple core is beneficial in the reduction of inflammation within the body.
- Pineapple core can be included in the diet to help with digestive issues and stomach problems.
- Plantain core is taken to aid conception and implantation. It is known to be suggested for women struggling to conceive.
- The fibre it contains is important for a healthy digestive and immune system.
- Pineapple core is a rich source of vitamin C, which supports immunity, helps protect against heart disease and it also helps the body to repair and restore itself. It also has free radical fighting properties and controls cholesterol level.
- It is also an excellent source of manganese, which helps with proper bone formation.
- Copper found in the core helps the body form collagen and absorb iron.
You rob yourself of important nutrition when you throw the core away. It can be eaten or used as a smoothie along with the pineapple’s flesh. It can also be cut into cubes and frozen for use in smoothies place of ice cubes.