Only a few people are aware of the amazing benefits of the Kale plant. The most common type, curly kale, has green curly leaves and a hard, fibrous stem.
Like the cabbage and spinach, it can be used in preparing salads, sandwiches, smoothies, or eaten as a steamed vegetable. Kale is loaded with beneficial compounds, some of which have powerful nutritional, health, skin and hair benefits.
Kale is one of the world’s best sources of Vitamin K. It is also an excellent source of Vitamin C, much higher than most other vegetables, and about 4.5 times much as spinach. Other nutrients include vitamins A, B6 and B3; fibre and beta-carotene; antioxidants like Quercetin and Kaempferol; and the minerals- manganese, copper, calcium, potassium and folate.
- Kale is great for cardiovascular support. It can help lower cholesterol, which may reduce the risk of heart disease and help offer protection against diabetes.
- The antioxidants it contains has numerous cancer-fighting substances which prevent free radical damage that can precipitate cancerous changes in cells.
- It contains the pigments lutein and zeaxanthin which are powerful nutrients that protect the eyes.
- Kale is a great detox food. It is filled with fibre and sulfur, both great for detoxifying the body and keeping the liver healthy.
- Kale consumption can help prevent adherence of harmful bacteria to the stomach’s mucus lining thereby preventing bacterial stomach ulcers.
- Other benefits of Kale include supporting bone health, helps with blood clotting, promoting weight loss, help treat anaemia, and helps promote a healthy pregnancy.
- Kale reduces the risk of premature ageing. It has a lot of antioxidants and Vitamin A which help to repair skin tissue, prevent free radical cells damage to skin, reduce wrinkles and slow down the ageing process.
- The vitamin K it contains helps to reduce the dark circles under the eyes, fine lines, wrinkles, age spots, dark spots, and skin blemishes.
- Kale helps to reduce the swelling and scars that may form after medical procedures. It also promotes collagen production, which enhances the skin’s strength and improves the skin’s radiance.
- It also helps to keep the skin hydrated while cleaning out the pores and thus providing the skin with a healthier look.
- By detoxifying the body from within, it cleanses the skin, and thus makes it glow.
- Kale juice promotes hair elasticity. It prevents hair breakage and controls hair fall, and thus helps to increase the hair’s strength and maintain a thick mane.
- It helps to increase hair growth at a faster rate.
- Omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids present in the plant can aid in keeping the hair and scalp moisturized and reduce dandruff.