Making groundnut oil at home is much easier than you can imagine and saves you some extra cash. It will also allow you to guarantee the source of the oil.
Amazingly, groundnut oil has limitless benefits. It is a powerful anti-oxidant and is rich in omega 3 fatty acids, which are an essential component of many beauty and health recipes. It improves the function of the heart, boosts memory, strengthens the immune system, lowers blood pressure and cholesterol levels, and reduces the likelihood of having diseases like cancer. Also, it can be used for skin care purposes amongst other benefits.
The oil is rich in vitamin E. It may help promote skin health, protect against free radicals that cause wrinkles, blemishes, and other signs of premature ageing if applied topically. It can also be used as a massage oil to energize the body and help alleviate aching joints and muscles.
- Fresh groundnuts (peanuts). About 3 cups will get only 1 cup of oil, hence, you will need a large number of peanuts to make a substantial amount of oil.
How to Make
- Break the shells and bring out the peanuts in a large bowl.
- Remove the fine skin layer from the nuts. To do this, put them into a pan and put it on low heat. This makes it easier to remove the skins and also gives it a distinctive flavour.
- Wash the peanuts well in cold water.
- Next, put them in a clean bowl and pour warm water into it. Allow them to soak for 10-15 minutes so that they can get a little soft.
- Pour into a sieve and allow to drain off the water.
- Blend the peanuts thoroughly to form a smooth paste. You can add 1-2 tablespoons warm water to blend properly.
- Pour the paste in an air-tight container and cover the lid tightly. Put inside the refrigerator for at least a day and avoid touching the container. This will allow the oil to automatically rise on the top.
- After about 24 hours, use a colander to strain the oil into a separate bowl. It might have some particles, so you will have to strain it again until it becomes clean.
- Pour the oil into a clean glass jar or bottle. Close the lid tightly and store the oil inside the refrigerator.