Wonders you might wonder shall never cease. Going through nature and gradually discovering the wealth of resources stored in the abundant greens we daily consume, you will be truly grateful and appreciate the benefits it bestows.
Pumpkin (ugu) is one of the many greens we have been blessed with. Consumed on a regular basis by many who use it to make several soups and delicacies, only a few know about the benefits of the juice. No wonder, it is often chopped and washed, wasting the juice which contains the many benefits.
Pumpkin leaf juice contains a lot of minerals (potassium, calcium, iron, folic acid, magnesium, phosphorus), vitamins (A, C, E), pectin, dietary fibres, proteins and anti-oxidants. It also has low calories.
- Pumpkin juice helps to cure liver and kidney problems like gallbladder or kidney stones. Taking half a cup of the juice in the morning and a half cup in the evening for the kidney’s health.
- It has a great laxative effect and helps in digestion and to relieve constipation because of the high fibre content. The juice is also very effective for detoxication.
- The Vitamin A in it helps to improve the eye’s health and prevent many eye diseases associated with age and degeneration of the vision.
- It is useful in treating anaemia caused by iron deficiency.
- The antioxidants help to clean out the arteries, reduce the risk of heart diseases and help to prevent arteriosclerosis. Also, it helps to minimize the risk of high blood pressure by reducing cholesterol due to the high level of pectin present in it.
- It is effective in relieving morning sickness caused by pregnancy. Taking half cup of the juice helps pregnant women to overcome this.
- When incorporated as a regular diet, it helps in the treatment of Hepatitis A and enhances liver function.
- It helps to fight insomnia due to its sedative properties. One cup of the juice before bed can help to fight lack of sleep.
- It is rich in calcium which improves lactation. Good news for lactating mothers.
- Drinking pumpkin juice every day helps to boost weak immunity.
- It boosts men and women’s fertility. They help to increase and build up sperm and help women’s fertility.
- It prevents convulsion. To achieve this, drink pumpkin juice mixed with coconut water. Add some salt to it and store it in a bottle or drink.
- The antibacterial properties in pumpkin juice help to protect from infections and prevent many bacterial infections when consumed on a regular basis.
- It helps to reduce the blood sugar level and keep diabetes under control because of its anti-diabetic properties.
- It also helps to fight against cancer.
- Pumpkin leaf juice helps to achieve smooth and healthy skin. They contain antioxidants which help the skin to slow down the ageing process and get rid of wrinkles.
- It can be combined with other ingredients like Vitamin E oil, honey, yoghurt or lemon juice and applied topically on all skin types.
- It has a cooling effect on the skin and is very effective in treating burns, insect bites, inflammation or abscess. The antioxidants, such as vitamins A, C, E, and zinc help to heal wounds or burns faster.
Making Pumpkin Leaf Juice
- Wash and rinse with water properly.
The juice can be taken directly, with milk or with a bottle of malt drink and orange (optionally).