The discussion on more girls and women being involved in STEM programs has been a long talk globally with various initiatives started to encourage and break the age-long stereotypes. So far, several organizations have joined the train in encouraging more women in technology in Africa; one of which is the GreenHouse Capital. GreenHouse Capital is one of Africa’s leading technology-focused venture capital firms that created the GreenHouse Lab to build world-class, women-led technology companies by equipping entrepreneurs with the skills, resources and support needed to rapidly grow and scale their companies in emerging African markets.
GreenHouse Lab is a three-month accelerator focused solely on early-stage, female-led or female-focused technology start-ups across Africa, as well as African run start-ups domiciled overseas with products that are scalable in African markets. This is a collaboration between GreenHouse Capital, Vibranium Valley and Google Launchpad Africa for the second cohort of its accelerator.
Applicants must meet the following requirements in order to be considered for the program:
- Must be an early-stage tech startup with at least one female member on their founding or leadership team
- Must have identified a critical need in Africa and is building an effective, sustainable and scalable solution
- Must have a team consisting of at least two members including one technical member
- Must have developed, at a minimum, a beta-product and be in the process of refining a go-to-market strategy, building out sales channels and generating revenue
- Must be extremely passionate about their chosen vertical and demonstrate the necessary commitment to building the company of their dreams.
To apply for the GreenHouse Lab accelerator program, set up a venture profile on the VC4Africa platform and upload your most recent pitch deck. Then apply for the program through the application form.
During the program, each startup will have the opportunity to meet with investors prior to Demo and Investment Day. After the program, the startups will pitch their ideas to a curated audience of global investors, entrepreneurs, corporates, and institutions from the global tech ecosystem. Selected start-ups will be required to commit to the program in Lagos.
After an incredibly successful inaugural cohort in 2018, the program has expanded to offer an even more exciting suite of benefits including:
- A global cross-industry investor, corporate partner, and mentorship network.
- Access to products and resources from GreenHouse Capital partners, including Google Launchpad.
- An intensive curriculum delivered by Google mentors and industry experts in world-class tech entrepreneurship training. This curriculum is delivered in-person and virtually over the course of three months.
- The program leverages existing entrepreneurship education frameworks and focuses on a variety of key topics such as product development, market segmentation, human capital, marketing and fundraising.
- The opportunity to work out of Vibranium Valley, Lagos – Nigeria’s premier tech hub.
- Ecosystem engagement (through networking sessions and roadshows).
- The potential to receive a minimum of 100,000 USD investment from GreenHouse Capital for startups that qualify and meet our investment readiness criteria (this excludes other offers that may come from our global network of investors).
Is your startup female-focused? Do you want to be a part of this amazing opportunity to be in a three-month accelerator program? Apply here
Application Deadline: August 4th 2019.
The three-month accelerator begins in mid-August and ends mid-November (August 18-November 14, 2019).
Opportunities for Africans
Featured Image Source: techinafrica.com