Not all heroes wear capes. This is certainly true in every way it is viewed because superheroes are sometimes so “personal-person” that we glide over the great work they do. One of such superheroes, who have not been celebrated like the heroes they truly are, are software engineers. Software engineers build technologies through design, development and testing of applications that would work as solutions for millions of people. They build some of the world’s most advanced services and designs all with their interaction with people, their team, functional laptop and internet. Never underestimate what a software engineer does.
Fortunately, some few days back, Microsoft released an advert for internship opportunities for Nigerian students who are software engineers or training to be one. Working for one of the top tech companies in the world comes with a huge benefit beyond the paycheck as it creates a platform to build networks that would matter significantly to what you get to do outside the internship. It also creates a platform to learn transferable skills and to build capacity and ability to address global solutions as a software engineer.
Working in Microsoft comes with a huge benefit beyond the paycheck, although these benefits may vary depending on the country you work in and the nature of your contract with Microsoft; general benefits and perks include:
- Healthcare service
- Opportunity to network and connect with industry players within and outside the county
- Discount on products and services such as the Xbox, Windows gadget etc.
- A 0-25% likelihood of travel.
- Currently pursuing bachelor’s or master’s degree in engineering, computer science or related field with at least one semester/quarter/term remaining after internship. Therefore, your graduation date should be in 2021. Although, the internship may still consider candidates graduating in 2022 and beyond.
- A year or two of experience programming in C++, Java or other computer programming languages preferred.
- Ability to demonstrate an understanding of algorithms, data structures and other systems architecture factors that affect code quality, performance and customer experience.
- Some experience building software outside of the classroom environment like an internship, hackathon, research project or related experience preferred.
- Demonstrated skill in time management and completing software projects in a cooperative team environment.
- Collaborate with a committed team to design, develop and test the next generation of technology solutions.
- Work with teammates to solve problems and build innovative software solutions.
- You are passionate about customers and product quality, and you provide technical guidance to Program Managers as they consider user needs and product requirements.
- Demonstrate an ability to learn and adopt relevant new technologies, tools, methods and processes to leverage in your solutions.
- Dedicated to building software to empower every person and organization on the planet to achieve more.
Do these job descriptions and qualifications fit what you are passionate about and your skillset? Then, apply here.
Click on the Share button in the article to share this opportunity with your friends and drop a comment on this post to tell me what topics or opportunities you would like to know or read about here.
Featured Image Source: Scholarship Watch