Before I share today’s tech opportunity, there is a word interchange that has been going on for quite a while with only a few people able to differentiate between them. This word interchange is between the words bootcamp, incubation and acceleration program. Bootcamps present an opportunity for people with an idea but have very little business experience to learn the basics and processes of starting a business. Basic skills in marketing, business formation and strategy are taught. On the other hand, incubators are short-term programs for people with ideas to start market research, analysis and build the structure of the idea. At this stage, the business is moving from a pre-startup phase to a start-up phase. Finally, acceleration programs are time-specific programs that provide an opportunity to learn the strategy behind an idea and to build a strong network of people around them that provides publicity and attract investors.
Read more about Tech
AgriLab is an Agritech Ideation Workshop and Bootcamp for Young Start-ups and is focused on enabling Agritech Entrepreneurs to succeed. AgriLab aims to enable young Nigerians to turn their start-up ideas into full-fledged business models ready for investment.
The AgriLab Bootcamp and incubation program is a partnership between the Embassy of Ireland, Nigeria and Ventures Platform. Ventures Platform is a tech hub based in Abuja that incubates and supports startups through its office space, investment fund and a Not-For-Profit arm. It is known for the incubating the following innovations: kudi.ai, PiggyVest, Printivo, Paystack and even the popular Thrive Agric.
AgriLab focuses on the Agritech sector, an area where Ireland is a world leader and in which Nigeria needs to develop in order to diversify its economy and meet the demands of a fast-growing population. The AgriLab is an investment in idea-stage businesses involved in the intersection of technology with agriculture.
Bootcamp and Incubation Program
- 3-Day Ideation Workshop and Bootcamp: Selected startups get to learn the requisite knowledge needed to be accepted into the Incubation Program
- Incubation: Participants will be exposed to workshops, mentorship and office spaces.
- Seed Capital: Participants get to receive $2,000 in seed capital.
- A Trip to Ireland: The winning team will receive an all-expense-paid trip to Ireland to meet and network with potential business partners and state agencies.
Eligibility and Selection Criteria
- Nigerian with a business idea in the agritech space that clearly identifies the problem it solves.
- A sustainable and scalable business model.
- Resident in Nigeria
- Between the ages of 18 – 35
- Available to participate in the entire program if selected
- Able to travel to Ireland for a business visit as part of this program
- Valid International Passport for the duration of the trip.
- Team Capabilities
- Agribusiness is Tech-enabled.
- Completed application form
Sign up to the Connect Nigeria daily newsletter
Deadline for application: December 18th, 2019
Ideation Workshop (3 days period): January 28-30, 2020
Incubation program (3 months period): February 10, 2020, to April 10, 2020
Visit of Ireland: July 2020
Do you have a great business idea that can tackle the food shortage problem in Nigeria and Africa? Apply here.
Featured Image Source: Empowerment Opportunities
Got something you want to read about on our platform? Contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org