Hello dear readers, how are you doing today? I hope that you are doing great. It feels so blessed to be alive and well. Now, let’s briefly talk about the importance of maintaining the relationships we have. The truth is that no man is an Island. We all need people or someone around us.
Read more about Health
We, humans, are created to be social beings. We need people around us. We cannot afford to be alone for a long time irrespective of our age, race, tribe, sex or nationality. This is why it is important that we should always treat the people around us with love and care irrespective of who they may be to us.
You can’t afford to ill-treat the people around you because these are the people who make you. I sometimes laugh when I hear people make statements such as, ” I don’t need anyone around me, I am perfectly fine on my own”. These statements are so far from the truth.
We, people, do need one another. It is also important to do good to those around you so you can reap good in return. This is the golden rule.
Now for today’s wonder food, we will be looking at Okra. Okra (Or Okro as it is sometimes called) is a nutritious food that has its origins from Africa. It can be found in Nigeria and other African countries.
Okra has a lot of nutritious health benefits. Before we discuss the health benefits of Okra, it is important to state that okra should be avoided by men of reproductive age.
This is because Okra seeds contain a substance called Gossypol which some studies have proven to be very detrimental to Sperm count if eaten in sufficient quantities.
Okra seeds also affect the ability of sperm cells to move efficiently. By continuous consumption of okra, the testes can be destroyed thereby resulting in male infertility.
Sign up to the Connect Nigeria daily newsletter
However, it is important to note that okra does have some health benefits. Below are some of the 8 health benefits of eating Okra:
- Okra is very rich in many nutrients and minerals. It contains high levels of vitamins C and K.
- Okra is packed with antioxidants that help to benefit your health. These antioxidants help you to fight off harmful molecules called free radicals.
- The antioxidants content of Okra also helps to improve heart health by reducing blood clots.
- It also helps to benefit the brain by protecting against inflammations, reducing symptoms of ageing, improving learning abilities and memory.
- Okra helps to reduce the cholesterol levels of the body.
- Okra contains a protein known as Lectin which stops the growth of cancer cells in the body and it also helps prevent cancer as well.
- Okra helps the body to maintain healthy blood sugar levels. Although if you are diabetic it is best you check with your doctor because Okra may interfere with diabetes medications.
- Due to its rich Folate (Vitamin B9) content, okra is highly recommended for pregnant women. It helps to reduce the risk of a neural tube defect that affects the brain and spine of a developing foetus.
You can see from all the points highlighted above dear readers that Okra is not all bad. Okra is a fruit that is highly beneficial to our body.
However, caution must be applied if you are a man of reproductive age and you plan on building a family of your own. In this case, it is advised that you avoid eating Okra.
Well, this is all that we have for you today. Thank you for reading. Till I come your way again, it’s your Nature’s Pharmacist, OCB. Cheers.
Featured Image Source: Premium Times NG
Got a suggestion? Contact us: editor at connectnigeria dot com