Hello dear readers, how are you doing today? I hope you are doing great? With all that is going on now in Nigeria especially the #EndSARS crusade, one must be very careful and try to keep safe.
You just never know what you have until you lose it. A couple of weeks back if Lagosians had been told that their businesses will be lost in multiples and the whole town will almost be in shambles we would have all said that “It is not our portion”.
Read more about Health
In fact, the damages are so severe everywhere that I can bet that insurance companies will have a hard time paying the premiums of all damages that occurred to their clients.
I really ask this question and I want all of us to ponder on it, “Which way Nigeria?”. Our country Nigeria is so blessed with natural and human resources yet a few so-called politicians are holding the whole population hostage.
These few evil people do their best to destroy and divide the unity of Nigerians through religion and ethnic differences. What we Nigerians don’t realise is that our beauty lies in our diversity. The sooner we realise this then the promise of love will begin to manifest itself amongst us.
Well, today our wonderful food is a delicious and nutritious vegetable known as Yam (Or rather white Yam).
Yam is known to be rich in a natural hormone called Phytoestrogens which is known to stimulate the ovaries so that multiple ovulation can occur. In other words, if you are having challenges ovulating so as to conceive, by consuming white Yam often you will not only conceive but you have the likelihood of birthing twins.
The people of Igbo Ora in Oyo State, Nigeria are known to have the highest known population of twins worldwide.
Sign up to the Connect Nigeria daily newsletter
When these people were questioned and their diets fully examined it was discovered that they often are White Yam in their diets. Now apart from stimulating the ovaries to induce multiple births, yams have other health benefits. These are about 8 health benefits of Yams:-
1) Yam is very rich in different types of nutrients such as fibre which helps in food digestion and bowel health. Yam is rich in potassium and manganese which helps to promote healthy bones, good metabolism and a healthy heart. It also contains copper which helps to produce red blood cells and aids in iron absorption. Yams also contain vitamins C which is a strong antioxidant that helps to improve the immune system.
2) Eating Yam helps to promote a healthy brain. It enhances proper brain function, improves memory and learning abilities.
3) Yam helps to reduce the symptoms of menopause.
4) Yam is rich in antioxidants which help to fight cancer.
5) Yam helps to reduce inflammations such as obesity, heart diseases, and diabetes.
6) Yam helps to improve blood sugar.
7) Yam also helps to protect the body against drug-resistant bacteria.
8) Yam helps the body to regulate the cholesterol levels.
From all the listed health benefits, it can be seen, dear readers, that Yam is a superfood which we must add to our diets. Apart from its delicious taste when it is either cooked, fried, baked etc it is found to be rich in essential nutrients and vitamins that are great for the body. Go now and buy your yam tubers and revel in its delicious and healthy benefits.
Till later, I am your Nature Pharmacist, OCB. Cheers.
Featured Image Source: Medium
Got a suggestion? Contact us: editor at connectnigeria dot com