Garlic is a herb in the onion family, the class of herbs that include amongst others, the onion, shallot, leek and chive. It is a good source of calcium, phosphorus and selenium, vitamin C, vitamin B6 and manganese. In addition to being used as a spice, garlic is known to be a natural remedy for coughs and is used for cleansing the system. Here are some important health benefits:
- For cold and flu: To ease cold and flu, take one clove of garlic two or three times a day or make a garlic tea by adding garlic extract in a warm water you can add honey to it.
- To purify the system: Take two cloves of raw garlic and some warm water daily and consume a lot of water the entire day to keep your system healthy.
- As an antimicrobial agent: Garlic can be used as a natural antibiotic to keep harmful bacterial, fungal and parasitic infections at bay.
- Can prevents cancer: An increased intake of garlic reduces the risk of developing cancer.
- Can prevent heart diseases: Continuous consumption of garlic has been known to be immensely beneficial in regulating blood pressure and blood sugar levels.
For health reasons, though, you may want to consult your doctor before frequent intake of garlic. Also, avoid taking garlic if you would be going for medical surgeries.