Coconut rice is a departure from the usual jollof rice delicacy served at events or special family dinners. Coconut rice gives your taste bud a splendid yet distinguished taste as you eat rice soaked in coconut milk. Not only is this a healthy recipe, it’s one that will keep family and friends coming back for more. Serve this at a potluck and you are sure to stand out.
Red scotch bonnet pepper (ata rodo)/ habanero Pepper
Roasted titus fish
- Break the coconut and grate it. Soak the grated coconut in water for approximately 90 minutes. Make the water reasonably plenty because this is what will cook the rice.
- Ground the red scotch bonnet pepper (ata rodo)/ habanero Pepper and onions and set it aside.
- Pick out the bones in the roasted titus fish; make the fishes into little pieces (fish flakes).
- Wash the rice thoroughly.
- Add rice to boiling water, parboil for about 15 minutes.
- Pour the parboiled rice into a sieve for the water to drain.
- Place an empty pot on fire then add vegetable oil; heat it up.
- When the oil is heated, add the pepper, let it simmer.
- Add seasonings, salt to taste and the grounded crayfish.
- Add the fish flakes. Be sure to stir the pepper to avoid burning.
- Now, pour the soaked coconut into a sieve, squeeze out the water into a bowl
- Add the soaked coconut water to the stew sauce.
- Let it boil. Taste it, add some more seasoning and salt if needed.
- Let the sauce and coconut water boil for about five minutes. You can also add a little of the grated coconut to the water.
- Once the water is boiling, add the parboiled rice.
- Taste to be sure of the seasoning. Then let it cook till it’s soft.
A departure from soda is not altogether a bad idea. Soda is not the healthiest of drinks; and to be aware of the things you are drinking, you can switch to homemade drinks. Not only are these healthier, they are money savers.
Frozen orange juice
Frozen lemonade concentrate
- Blend the ripe bananas, sugar and some water in a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Pour pineapple juice, orange juice and lemonade concentrate into a big bowl, and then pour in the blended combination.
- Divide the mixture into plastic containers. Put in the freezer and let it freeze till it is solid.
- Remove from the 3 – 4 hours before serving.
- Place this slush into a punch bowl and pour ginger ale into it. Taste it to know the preferred amount of ginger ale.
- Serve and enjoy your banana punch.
About the Writer: Chris Bamidele is a passionate and unapologetic Nigerian, who believes in God and humanity. He is a writer, blogger, and an aspiring Television Director; and an optimist to the core. He blogs at www.chrisbamidele.wordpress.com and tweets @Chrisbamidele