Ikokore is a water yam dish popular among the Ijebus in South West Nigeria. It’s a delicious and nutritious delicacy to try at family gatherings, particular at this time of the year, when water yams (also known as Puerto Rico yams) are in season.
½ medium-sized water yam
1 small smoked fish
2 tablespoons, ground crayfish
1 medum sized tomato
4 medium sized peppers
1 medium sized onion
2 cooking spoons of palm oil
2 MAGGI cubes and salt to taste
- First peel, wash and grate the water yam.
- Then blend the tomato, peppers and onion into a puree
- Bring the mixture to a boil in a pot, adding smoked fish and crayfish,
- When boiled, add two spoonfuls of palm oil and MAGGI cubes for taste.
- Add some salt to your grated water yam and mix, before gently adding it into the boiling sauce, a spoon at a time.
- Cover the pot and leave to cook for 15 minutes. You can also add salt at this time if necessary.
Your dish is ready to serve.
Photo Credit: Afrolems.com