One-23 Communications Limited in conjunction with LeanHub Centre is currently hosting a 5-day intensive broadcast training. The theme of the training is Mind, Media and Money. Hosted by Onimisi Adaba, the training is facilitated by some of the finest in the industry such as Mazino Appeal, IK Osakioduwa, Tolu Adeleru-Balogun, Victor Orhorhoro, Tola Adeogun and others.
On Tuesday, Tolu Adeleru-Balogun shared etiquette rules that every aspiring TV personality must follow in order to become a star. Some of the rules are:
1. Be versatile: Be part of your production team and process
2. Be presentable: Look good and know your stuff
3. Be conscious of your brand: Sex sells or so we’ve heard, but you must be very careful that your brand is not known just for sexiness.
4. Practice: Consistent practice indeed makes perfect. Record yourself and watch it over and over again until you are able to get what you intend to achieve right.
5. Always be prepared: Do not be the sort of person who only comes in, collects the script, reads the script and then you are out. Read, digest and understand the script before you start.
6. Relax and be natural: There is a strong need for you to be authentic at what you do. There is nothing wrong with learning from those you admire in the industry, but make you are only incorporating those things into who you already are, rather than going all out to become them. Relax and breathe, you’re talking to human beings like you.
7. Pay attention to your body language: You will be surprised at how much more is being said through your body language than you are actually verbally expressing. So consciously work on your gestures and refrain from hunching. Remember not to fold your arms across your chest.
8. Adlibbing: As a presenter, it is important to expect the unexpected because there will be people and questions that will throw you totally off balance, so it is important to learn the art of adlibbing. It is your ability to comfortably switch from one topic to another without missing a beat. You can learn this by taking time out on weekends to practice with your friends and family; ask them to randomly throw questions at you and you strive to say something on each of the topics at least for a minute.
9. Practice the art of studying: One of the greatest things that can influence your ability to adlib is reading, so you must work on being an ardent reader.
About the Writer: Eniola Adeniji is a woman after God’s own heart, a motivational Writer, Speaker, Fashion and Photography addict. She is also a Business Developer, Social Media Manager and the founder of Woman Of Value. She blogs at ennmae.wordpress.com